Transformer Equivalent Circuit

In summary, the speaker has obtained an approximate equivalent circuit of a transformer at its rated supply voltage by conducting open circuit and short circuit tests. They have noticed that when plotting a graph of primary voltage against primary current for an open-circuited transformer, the predicted values from the equivalent circuit do not agree with the actual graph, potentially due to changes in the relative permeability of the core at saturation. They ask for clarification on this idea and receive further information on the topic of hysteresis and its effects on losses and distortion in transformer cores.
ChrisHarvey
I have obtained the approximate equivalent circuit of a transformer at its rated supply voltage having carried out the open circuit and short circuit tests on it.

If I plot a graph of primary voltage against primary current for an open-circuited transformer I get a curve. If I use my equivalent circuit to give me predicted values for this, it gives me a straight line which intersects the curve at 2 places: one intersection is at the rated voltage.

Why is it that the 2 graphs do not agree?

I have thought about it and am wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that the relative permeability of the core changes as it reaches saturation. This would change my graphs in the 'right direction' but I have read nothing about this kind of thing in any textbook - but then I can't find this explained anywhere.

Is this idea correct, or is there some other reason for this?

Thank you very much to anyone who can give me any help,
it is much appreciated,
Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
Permeability of magnetic cores is not in general a constant and heads towards zero at saturation -- look up the topic of Hysteresis this deals with losses in cores in AC conditions . Since this is a non-linear effect it is often only represented as an equivalent resistance ( but recognizing this is an average value under the exciting conditions ) , in fact it would give rise to harmonics of a sine signal hence distortion in audio signals as well as pure losses. Some materials are far better than others hence their use in so called high'Q' coils or at RF. Try 'Wikipedia' for an explanation , search Yahoo.
Ray

Thankyou for your reply - I've found it really helpful.

1. What is a transformer equivalent circuit?

A transformer equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a transformer's behavior, which is useful for analyzing and designing transformer circuits. It consists of electrical components, such as resistors, inductors, and capacitors, that model the primary and secondary windings of a transformer.

2. How is a transformer equivalent circuit different from a real transformer?

A transformer equivalent circuit is an idealized model that neglects certain physical characteristics of a real transformer, such as winding resistance, leakage inductance, and core losses. However, it accurately represents the electrical behavior of a transformer for most practical applications.

3. What are the key parameters in a transformer equivalent circuit?

The key parameters in a transformer equivalent circuit include the turns ratio, coupling coefficient, and magnetizing inductance. These parameters determine the voltage and current transformation ratios of the transformer, as well as its impedance and power transfer characteristics.

4. How is a transformer equivalent circuit used in circuit analysis?

A transformer equivalent circuit is used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage, current, and power relationships between the primary and secondary sides of a transformer. It can also be used to calculate the efficiency and losses of a transformer under different operating conditions.

5. Can a transformer equivalent circuit be used for all types of transformers?

Yes, a transformer equivalent circuit can be used for all types of transformers, including single-phase and three-phase transformers, as well as autotransformers. However, the specific parameters and component values may vary depending on the transformer's design and construction.