Should I switch from Physics to Mechanical Engineering?

In summary, this student is considering switching their major to mechanical engineering due to the lack of career options for physicists. They feel that this decision might be difficult to make, but they are interested in the program and the opportunities that it offers.
jakendx832
Hey guys, this is my first post on here.

I'm a second-year physics major at a large public university in the U.S., and I am considering changing my major to mechanical engineering (with a physics minor. I faced this decision at the same time last year. If I were to switch I would have to stay in college for an extra semester, which is probably ok for me.

As I have seen on these forums several times, one of the main reasons I am considering this is the lack of career options for phycisists. I think I might have difficulty getting into grad school, as my gpa is slightly below 3.0.

I have always been very interested in physics and astrophysics, but I think I would also like M.E. I have always liked building stuff. Also I had an internship at a biophysics lab last summer. Both programs are relatively good at my university.

Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a switch that I made about 50 years ago, and I never regretted it. It worked out great for me. But that was me; that is not to say what is right for you. Only you can decide what you really want to do. You have to decide where you think your interests really are, where you think your future is going to be. Don't think one is going to be a lot easier than the other; it is not. Either way, you are looking at a lot of work, but there are great careers either way.

Thanks, I suppose you are right.
Anybody else have advice?

Some of our best engineers have degrees in physics and not engineering. Probably my engineering education gave me about 5% of what I need to be a mechanical design engineer. Maybe if I had a degree in physics it might be 6%.

I understand the dilemma you are facing and the importance of making a well-informed decision about your academic and career path. Ultimately, the decision to switch from physics to mechanical engineering should be based on your personal interests, strengths, and long-term goals.

Firstly, it is important to note that both physics and mechanical engineering are highly valuable and in-demand fields, with a wide range of career opportunities available. While it may be true that there are more job openings for mechanical engineers, there are also many opportunities for physicists in fields such as research, academia, and technology.

If your main concern is the lack of career options for physicists, I would suggest exploring the various job opportunities available for both fields and considering which ones align more with your interests and strengths. It may also be helpful to speak with professionals in both fields to gain a better understanding of the day-to-day work and potential career paths.

Additionally, your GPA should not be the sole determining factor in your decision to switch majors. While it is important to have a strong academic record, it is not the only factor that graduate schools or employers consider. Your experiences, skills, and passion for the field are also important factors that can make you a competitive candidate.

Ultimately, it is important to pursue a field that you are truly passionate about and that aligns with your long-term goals. If you are interested in both physics and mechanical engineering, you may also want to consider pursuing a double major or minor in one of the fields to keep your options open.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making process and encourage you to thoroughly research and consider all factors before making a final decision.

1. Why should I consider switching from Physics to Mechanical Engineering?

There are a few reasons why you might want to consider switching from Physics to Mechanical Engineering. First, Mechanical Engineering is a more specialized field that focuses specifically on the application of physics principles to designing and creating machines and mechanical systems. This could be a more practical and hands-on approach for those who prefer to work with tangible objects. Additionally, Mechanical Engineering offers a wider range of job opportunities in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing.

2. What skills from Physics are transferable to Mechanical Engineering?

Many of the fundamental principles and concepts used in Physics are also applicable in Mechanical Engineering. These include mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity and magnetism. Having a strong foundation in these areas can help you excel in Mechanical Engineering. Additionally, skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematical proficiency are essential in both fields.

3. Will I have to start over if I switch from Physics to Mechanical Engineering?

No, you will not have to start over completely. While there may be some overlap in coursework, you will likely have to take some additional classes to fulfill the requirements for a Mechanical Engineering degree. However, many of the core concepts and skills you have learned in Physics will still be valuable and applicable in your new field of study.

4. What are the job prospects for Mechanical Engineers compared to Physicists?

The job prospects for Mechanical Engineers are generally stronger compared to Physicists. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for Mechanical Engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, while employment for Physicists is expected to grow only 5% during the same time period. Additionally, Mechanical Engineers typically have a higher median salary compared to Physicists.

5. Are there any downsides to switching from Physics to Mechanical Engineering?

One potential downside is that Mechanical Engineering may require more hands-on work and physical labor compared to Physics, which is more theoretical and research-based. Additionally, the coursework for Mechanical Engineering may be more demanding and require more time and effort. Ultimately, the decision to switch should be based on your personal interests and career goals.