Trying to get exact solution for a nonlinear DE

• Thread starter Paalfaal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nonlinear
In summary: The correct integral is ln\left(\frac{r}{r^2-1}\right)+ C, not ln(r)- ln(r-1)- ln(r+1)+ C. Also, the solution to this problem is actually r(t) = \frac{r_{0}e^{t}}{\sqrt{1+r_{0}^2(e^{2t}-1)}}. This is a more complicated solution than the one you stated.
Paalfaal
Ok, this should be quite simple. I've been looking at this problem for quite some time now, and I'm tired.. Please help me!

The equation to solve is [itex]r'[/itex] = [itex]r(1-r^2)[/itex]

The obvious thing to do is to do partial fraction expansion and integrate(from r[itex]_{0}[/itex] to r):

[itex] ∫ (\frac{1}{r} + \frac{1}{1-r^2})dr = t[/itex]

After some trig substitution: [itex]ln[r\sqrt{\frac{r+1}{1-r}}] = t [/itex] (evaluated from r[itex]_{0}[/itex] to r). Then take the exponential on both sides.

[itex]r\sqrt{\frac{r+1}{1-r}} = r_{0}\sqrt{\frac{r_{0}+1}{1-r_{0}}}e^{t} [/itex]

This leads to kind of a nasty expression which can't be solved explicitly for [itex]r(t)[/itex] (at least it seems that it can't be solved explicitly).. So this is where I'm stuck.

The solution to this ploblem is: [itex]r(t) = \frac{r_{0}e^{t}}{\sqrt{1+r_{0}(e^{2t}-1)}} [/itex]

Again, this should be fairly simple, but I'm stuck.. Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] ∫ (\frac{1}{r} + \frac{1}{1-r^2})dr = t[/itex] is false. r is missing on the second fraction.

Thank you! Got it now :)

Paalfaal said:
Ok, this should be quite simple. I've been looking at this problem for quite some time now, and I'm tired.. Please help me!

The equation to solve is [itex]r'[/itex] = [itex]r(1-r^2)[/itex]

The obvious thing to do is to do partial fraction expansion and integrate(from r[itex]_{0}[/itex] to r):

[itex] ∫ (\frac{1}{r} + \frac{1}{1-r^2})dr = t[/itex]
That's an incorrect "partial fraction expansion". [itex]1- x^2= (1- x)(1+ x)[/itex] so
[tex]\frac{1}{r(1- r^2)}= \frac{1}{r}- \frac{1}{r- 1}- \frac{1}{r+ 1}[/tex]
There is no "trig substitution" involved in integrating that. the integral is
[tex]ln(r)- ln(r-1)- ln(r+1)+ C= ln\left(\frac{r}{r^2-1}\right)+ C[/tex]

After some trig substitution: [itex]ln[r\sqrt{\frac{r+1}{1-r}}] = t [/itex] (evaluated from r[itex]_{0}[/itex] to r). Then take the exponential on both sides.

[itex]r\sqrt{\frac{r+1}{1-r}} = r_{0}\sqrt{\frac{r_{0}+1}{1-r_{0}}}e^{t} [/itex]

This leads to kind of a nasty expression which can't be solved explicitly for [itex]r(t)[/itex] (at least it seems that it can't be solved explicitly).. So this is where I'm stuck.

The solution to this ploblem is: [itex]r(t) = \frac{r_{0}e^{t}}{\sqrt{1+r_{0}(e^{2t}-1)}} [/itex]

Again, this should be fairly simple, but I'm stuck.. Please help me!
You have integrated incorrectly.

I can understand your frustration with trying to find an exact solution for a nonlinear differential equation. This is a common challenge in mathematics and science, as many real-world problems cannot be solved analytically. However, there are various numerical methods that can be used to approximate solutions to nonlinear DEs, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. These methods involve breaking down the problem into smaller, simpler steps and using iterative calculations to approximate the solution. It may not give an exact solution, but it can provide a close enough approximation for practical purposes. I would suggest consulting with a mathematician or using computer software to help with these calculations. Keep in mind that sometimes, the best solution is to accept an approximate solution rather than trying to find an exact one.

1. What is a nonlinear differential equation?

A nonlinear differential equation is an equation that involves derivatives of a dependent variable in a nonlinear way. This means that the rate of change of the dependent variable is not directly proportional to the value of the dependent variable itself.

2. Why is it difficult to find an exact solution for a nonlinear DE?

Nonlinear differential equations are difficult to solve because they do not follow a specific pattern or formula like linear differential equations do. This makes it challenging to manipulate the equation to isolate the dependent variable and find an exact solution.

3. What methods can be used to solve a nonlinear DE?

Some common methods used to solve nonlinear differential equations include substitution, separation of variables, and integrating factors. Other more advanced methods include power series, Laplace transforms, and numerical methods.

4. Can a computer be used to find an exact solution for a nonlinear DE?

In some cases, a computer can be programmed to find an exact solution for a nonlinear differential equation. However, this is not always possible as some equations may not have a closed-form solution or the computation may be too complex.

5. Are approximate solutions acceptable for nonlinear DEs?

In many cases, it is not possible to find an exact solution for a nonlinear differential equation. In these situations, an approximate solution may be acceptable and can still provide useful information about the behavior of the system. However, the accuracy of the approximation should always be considered and validated.