Work done accelerating up a hill

In summary, the conversation discusses the work done by a hiker carrying a backpack up a hill with constant acceleration. The question involves finding the work required for this scenario and the solution is explained using the concept of forces acting parallel to displacement. It is also mentioned that the hiker will reach the top with some velocity and the extra work done contributes to a higher kinetic energy. The explanation is clarified and the conversation ends with a thank you.
Physics_5
Alright so I have a question on the work done with constant acceleration up a hill. I was working an example problem that asked for the work a hiker must do on a 15.0 kg backback to carry it up a hill of height h = 10.0m with the hiker keeping a constant velocity (http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag60/Physics_5/IMG_07961.jpg). I understood the solution when the problem had a constant velocity but not with a constant acceleration.

I reasoned that if the hiker was accelerating up the hill, then a force acting parallel to the displacement was also present in addition to the force the hiker exerts upwards against gravity on the backpack. This would seem to indicate that the total force parallel to the displacement was greater than with constant velocity and that the work in the second situation was greater than the first. I didn't think that made sense because gravity is a conservative force but I don't understand why this explanation would not be valid.

Physics news on Phys.org
Compared to the first setup, the hiker will reach the top with some velocity (can you calculate it?). You can use this to calculate the required energy. You don't have to care about details of the climbing process. Anyway: To accelerate, the hiker has to apply an additional force along the direction of motion.

Ok now I get it. All the extra work he does contributes to a higher kinetic energy. Thank you very much.

1. What is work done accelerating up a hill?

Work done accelerating up a hill refers to the amount of energy expended by an object as it moves up a hill while also increasing its speed. This work is a result of the force applied to the object in the direction of motion.

2. How is work done accelerating up a hill calculated?

The work done accelerating up a hill can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance it moves up the hill. The formula is W = Fd, where W represents work, F represents force, and d represents distance.

3. Does the steepness of the hill affect the work done accelerating up the hill?

Yes, the steepness of the hill does affect the work done accelerating up the hill. The steeper the hill, the greater the force required to overcome gravity and move the object up the hill, resulting in more work being done.

4. What is the role of gravity in work done accelerating up a hill?

Gravity plays a significant role in work done accelerating up a hill. As an object moves up a hill, it is working against the force of gravity. The steeper the hill, the greater the force of gravity, and the more work is required to move the object up the hill.

5. How is work done accelerating up a hill related to potential and kinetic energy?

Work done accelerating up a hill is closely related to potential and kinetic energy. As an object moves up a hill, it gains potential energy due to its increased height. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the object accelerates down the other side of the hill.