Stationary States and time-independent states (aren't they the same?)

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of stationary states in quantum systems and the distinction between time-independent and time-dependent functions. The question posed is asking which of the given functions describe stationary states that satisfy the time-independent Schrodinger equation. It is clarified that not all time-independent functions satisfy this equation and the state vector is described as being "trivially" time-dependent but stationary in the sense that its direction does not change. The conversation also discusses the use of time-independent states to derive solutions for the time-dependent Schrodinger equation and the fact that linear superposition of two stationary states may or may not be stationary depending on their degeneracy.
MrMultiMedia
I always thought they were the same, but now I am reading a question that says "which of he following time-independent functions describe stationary states of the corresponding quantum systems?"

Is there something I am missing? It's written like there is something to solve, but to me it seems like a trick question and all I really have to write is "if they are all time independent functions, then they all describe stationary states." Would this be a correct assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all time-independent functions satisfy the time-independent Schrodinger equation. Probably the question wants you to say which of the functions are actually solutions to the time-independent Schrodinger equation.

The time-dep. Schrödinger eq. reads

[tex]i\partial_t\,|\psi,t\rangle = \hat{H}\,|\psi,t\rangle[/tex]

a stationary state is an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian, i.e.

[tex]\hat{H}\,|\psi,t\rangle = E_\psi\,|\psi,t\rangle[/tex]

An example would be a state in an hydrogen atom labelled by nlm

[tex]|\psi,t\rangle = |nlm,t\rangle[/tex]

Note that this state is not time-independent.

But the time dependency is "trivial" as can be seen by the usual ansatz

[tex]|\psi,t\rangle = e^{-iEt}|\psi,0\rangle[/tex]

which solves the time-dep. Schrödinger eq. provided that we use an (time-indep.) eigenstate

[tex]|\psi,0\rangle[/tex]

of the Hamiltonian. This state is time-independent, but it is not a solution of the time-dependent Schrödinger eq. but of the time-independent Schrödinger eq.

In which sense is

time-dependent but "stationary"?

The state defines a one-dim. subspace of the Hilbert space, and the time-evolution does not leave this subspace; the time-evolution is described by a "trivial phase factor" e-iEt therefore the time-dependency does not change the "direction" of the state vector. In that sense the direction is stationary.

So, if I understand it correctly, if we have time-indep potential we can use time-indep Schrödinger equation(=eigenvalue problem for Hamiltonian) to derive set of solutions for t=0, from which any other state can be formed(=they form orthonormal basis) and which can be developed into any later time by expression

Correct?

What is time-indep state anyway? I guess it could be state which does not change with time, but it would be probably rare case.

I've found "www.mit.edu/~tokmakof/.../1._Introduction_3-15-10.pdf" useful link on the topic.

tom.stoer said:
In which sense is

time-dependent but "stationary"?

The state defines a one-dim. subspace of the Hilbert space, and the time-evolution does not leave this subspace; the time-evolution is described by a "trivial phase factor" e-iEt therefore the time-dependency does not change the "direction" of the state vector. In that sense the direction is stationary.

In other words, probability amplitude is constant. It should also be stressed that linear superposition of two stationary states is not stationary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alesak said:
What is time-indep state anyway? I guess it could be state which does not change with time
If you mean "time-indep. w.r.t. the time-dep. SE" this means that you have to have an eigenvalue E=0.

Alesak said:
It should also be stressed that linear superposition of two stationary states is not stationary.
This is true only if the two states are not degenerate. Think about the hydrogen atom and the quantum numbers nlm. A state like a|nlm>+a'|n'lm> for n≠n' is not an energy eigenstate; but a state like a|nlm>+a'|nlm'> is. Therefore the latter state is stationary.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between stationary states and time-independent states?

Stationary states and time-independent states are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. Stationary states refer to the state of a system that does not change with time, while time-independent states are a type of stationary state that also does not change with position.

2. Are stationary states the same as equilibrium states?

No, stationary states and equilibrium states are not the same. Equilibrium states refer to the state of a system where all forces and energy are balanced, while stationary states refer to the state of a system that does not change with time.

3. How do stationary states relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, stationary states are states of a system that are described by a specific energy level. These states are important because they are the only states that do not change with time. This allows for the prediction of the behavior of a system over time.

4. Can a system be in multiple stationary states at the same time?

Yes, a system can be in multiple stationary states at the same time. This is known as superposition and is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics. In this case, the system is described by a linear combination of the individual stationary states.

5. How do stationary states affect the measurement of particles in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, when a measurement is made on a particle, it collapses into a specific stationary state. This is known as the collapse of the wave function and is a crucial aspect of quantum mechanics. The probability of the particle being measured in a particular state is determined by the relative amplitudes of its stationary states.