Why harmonics cause such voltage drops?

In summary, harmonics are produced by devices that draw current in a non-linear fashion and can travel throughout a network, causing items to overheat. They distort the current and voltage profiles, and while harmonic power can be useful in some cases, it is often considered "dirty power." Harmonics can cause voltage drops in other parts of the network due to the impedance of the cables and other components. The presence of harmonics can also affect the performance of inductive machines, and the objective in power distribution systems is to maximize real power and minimize reactive power. Additionally, harmonics are necessary for producing suitable output voltage in power transformers due to the non-linear magnetizing characteristic of the core material.
Adder_Noir
I have recently come across the subject of harmonics in my new job and I am a little puzzled about them. I understand that they are produced by devices which draw current in a non-linear fashion and that they can travel throughout a network causing items to overheat and such like.

BUT...

I am a little unsure as to how they affect the voltage characteristics of the system they are present in. As I understand it they distort the current profile and thus distort the voltage profile. I also understand that harmonic current cannot be used as useful power and is termed 'dirty power'. I was told that they can cause voltage drops in other parts of the network. So my question is why do they cause such voltage drops? I am guessing it is because the power supply is having to power these useless harmonics :blushing: Any help appreciated :wink:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Harmonic power is NOT unuseable. I assume you are working with the power company? In many applications harmonic power is unuseable because it is unwanted. But harmonic energy IS utilized in many cases.

Thanks for replying that is something new that I have learned :smile: But I am still unsure as to how they cause voltage drops in the network they are attached to. Surely some components cannot utilise harmonics :shy:

Guess on Harmonics

Harmonics are formed when an otherwise sinusoidal signal or source encounters a nonlinear component a possible example being a cored transformer . If the original source is of fixed power then production of harmonics (which means energy at higher frequencies ) may reduce the Fundamental power.
Whether the harmonic power is useful depends on the end device , a stove may not care but I think that a motor would. A transformer with a nolinear core may produce 3rd harmonics i.e for a 60 Hz source that's 180 Hz and it may have a shifted phase wrt the fundamental.
Just some thoughts Ray -- I know little about Power distribution.

Update

Thanks for replying ray :wink: I have ordered a book on the subject as I would like to understand the concept thoroughly, hopefully the book will be a readable one and not like some of the over-advanced ones I have bought in the past :zzz:

I always find that I cannot get on with books aimed at postgrad level even though I am a post grad :blushing: My boss said the harmonics cause voltage drops because of the impedance of the cables and such like in the networks. He didn't really explain it very well so hopefully the book will make more sense.

rayjohn01 said:
Whether the harmonic power is useful depends on the end device , a stove may not care but I think that a motor would. A transformer with a nolinear core may produce 3rd harmonics i.e for a 60 Hz source that's 180 Hz and it may have a shifted phase wrt the fundamental.

Certainly the performance of a resistive element (e.g. electric heating element in stove or furnace) is not affected by harmonics.

Some characteristics (reactive impedance, e.g. capacitance and inductance) and performance of inductive machines are frequency dependent. If something is operating at 60 Hz, and the voltage/current (and induced magnetic field) oscillate at 180 Hz, then during the 1 cycle of 60 Hz, the harmonic works against the device (although it is on a 1/3 cycle basis).

Also, I would think that in general, the amplitude of the harmonic is not as great as the fundamental mode, but that may not be true in all cases, e.g. response of a power distribution system to a lightning strike. But that's why protective relays were developed - and these are now enhanced by digital protection systems.

With respect to useful/dirty power, might this refer to real/reactive power. In power distribution systems, the objective to maximize real power and minimize reactive power.

hi
i have a problem related to harmonics too...i need to learn more about harmonic modelling.
thanx
madi nagar

Astronuc said:
Also, I would think that in general, the amplitude of the harmonic is not as great as the fundamental mode, but that may not be true in all cases, e.g. response of a power distribution system to a lightning strike. ...

With respect to useful/dirty power, might this refer to real/reactive power. In power distribution systems, the objective to maximize real power and minimize reactive power.

Harmonic content of voltage or current wave is periodical inherently but response of power system to lightning strike is not.
Also existing of harmonics is useful sometimes, for example the third harmonic of electrical machine and power transformers magnetizing currents is necessary for suitable out put voltage wave.
As you know, because the B/H curve of the magnetic material forming the transformer
Core is not linear, if a sinusoidal voltage is being applied for a sinusoidal flux (and hence a sinusoidal secondary voltage), the magnetizing current is not sinusoidal. Thus the magnetizing current of a transformer having an applied sinusoidal voltage will comprise a fundamental component and various harmonics. The magnitude and composition of these harmonics will depend on the magnetizing characteristic of the core material and the value of the peak flux density. It is usual for third harmonics to predominate along with other higher third-order harmonics. If the harmonics cannot flow in any of these paths then the output voltage will contain the harmonic distortion.
In power transformers with grounded star or delta connection, there are suitable low- impedance path for third harmonic and other zero sequence currents.

REGARDS

--------------------------------------
Creative thinking is enjoyable,Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

1. What are harmonics and how do they cause voltage drops?

Harmonics are a type of electrical disturbance that can occur in power systems. They are caused by non-linear loads, such as electronic devices, which draw current in short pulses rather than the smooth sinusoidal waveform of traditional loads. These pulses create additional frequencies, or harmonics, in the system, which can interfere with the normal flow of electricity and cause voltage drops.

2. Why are voltage drops a concern in power systems?

Voltage drops can cause equipment malfunction and damage, as well as disruptions in power supply to consumers. They can also lead to increased energy consumption and costs for both utility companies and consumers.

3. How do harmonics affect power quality?

Harmonics can distort the normal sinusoidal waveform of electricity and cause voltage and current fluctuations, which can impact the performance of electrical equipment. This can lead to power quality issues such as flickering lights, equipment malfunctions, and reduced efficiency.

4. What can be done to mitigate the effects of harmonics on voltage drops?

There are several methods to reduce the impact of harmonics on power systems. These include using harmonic filters, which are designed to block or absorb specific frequencies, and using power factor correction to reduce the amount of harmonic currents in the system. Proper system design and installation can also help to minimize harmonics.

5. Are there any regulations or standards in place to address harmonics in power systems?

Yes, there are several regulations and standards, such as IEEE 519 and IEC 61000-3-2, that set limits on the amount of harmonics that can be present in power systems. These standards also provide guidelines for the design and installation of power systems to minimize the effects of harmonics on voltage drops and power quality.