Is it worth being a scientist these days

In summary: When it comes to becoming a scientist, you have to be willing to work extremely hard. There's a lot of things you would rather be doing instead of studying, such as working or going to school. However, if you're determined to become a scientist, then it's definitely worth it. You'll gain a lot of knowledge and experience that you can use in your future career.
N5soulkishin said:
HEy umm Chill_Factor, are you physicist?

I am a graduate student in physics. why do you ask?

Physics news on Phys.org
ModusPwnd said:
Many, myself included, did research in more practical and what we hoped was more marketable areas. My lab was actually half chemists and half physicists so most of us were marketable to industry. Not to do science really though, to do engineering and be technicians.

That's the reality through. Doesn't matter if it's academia or industry, HEP or solid state. You do a lot of grunt work.

If you want to have creative job in which you can show your individual skills - avoid science at any cost. It's not that in science there is no creativity at all. But it's a small margin comparing to the grunt work that you need to do.

In that regard being scientist is more like being an accountant rather than being an artist.

As Einstein is quoted:
"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it."

http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/EinsteinQuotes.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for your input. in retrospect, the truth hurts, especialy for my misguided view of being a scientist. again, thanks alot

N5soulkishin said:
Thank you everyone for your input. in retrospect, the truth hurts, especialy for my misguided view of being a scientist. again, thanks alot

Lots of other jobs involve science. Also, science itself involves a lot of politics and management. The Higgs boson could have been found 20 years ago, but it needed the political will to fund the experiements. Also, the experiments need the cooperation of many scientists, so good management was needed. You can find all these elements in jobs outside of "science" too. Video games, for example, really helped science - they caused GPUs to be invented:)