Is it possible to transform infinite sums into infinite products?

In summary: It would be strange if we could have \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n = \prod_{n=0}^\infty f_n(a_n), if you could convert sums into products easily, you would be able to convert anything in mathematics into anything else.
japplepie
is it also possible to transform any these kinds summation to any product notation:

1. infinite - convergent
2. infinite - divergent
3. finite (but preserves the "description" of the sequence)
For example, I could describe the number 6, from the summation of i from i=0 until 3.
Could I transform that description to something similar in product notation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
japplepie said:
For example, I could describe the number 6, from the summation of i from i=0 until 3.
Could I transform that description to something similar in product notation?

Sure,

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^3i = 6[/tex]

[tex]\prod_{i=1}^3i = 6[/tex]

:wink:

If ##a_n## are positive then ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\log a_n## converges iff ##\prod_{n=1}^\infty a_n## converges.

Last edited:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n= ln\left(\Pi_{n=1}^\infty e^{a_n}\right)[/tex]

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n= ln\left(\Pi_{n=1}^\infty e^{a_n}\right)[/tex]

guessing on the kind of variable your using, this works on every summations known to man

but I don't know how it works (I'm not studying math as high as this yet.)

what's with the ln and e^x?

So sums and products (including infinite) are the same thing and e^x or exp(x) and ln(x) or log(x) are used to switch between the two.

That is (for suitable x)

log(x)+log(y)=log(xy)
exp(x)exp(y)=exp(x+y)

6=1+2+3=log((e^1)(e^2)(e^3))

is the product form of the sum you asked about

If the product is one between binomials of any form, than it can be turned into a sum:
$$\prod_{k=1}^n (a_k+b_k) = \sum_{k=0}^n c_k a_k b_{n-k}$$
where ##c_k## is the coefficient.

ok I understand now, but is there a way without having the values enclosed in a function restriction.

just the capital pi notation without a function outside of it.

I don't know what you mean by "without having the values enclosed in a function restriction."

You asked for a "transform" and a transform is a function.

^He/she means that we have

f(a+b)=f(a)f(b)
for f(x)=exp(x)

f(ab)=f(a)+f(b)
for f(x)=log(x)

do there exist functions such that

a+b=f(a)f(b)

or

ab=f(a)+f(b)

I think not

We also have

[tex]a_1+a_2+a_3\ldots+a_n=a_1.\frac{a_1+a_2}{a_1}.\frac{a_1+a_2+a_3}{a_1+a_2}\ldots\frac{a_1+a_2+a_3+\ldots+a_n}{a_1+a_2+a_3+\ldots+a_{n-1}}=\\

=a_1\left(1+\frac{a_2}{a_1}\right)\left(1+\frac{a_3}{a_1+a_2}\right)...\left(1+\frac{a_n}{a_1+a_2+a_3+\ldots+a_{n-1}}\right)[/tex]

For example, if [tex]a_1=1,a_2=2,a_3=3[/tex] then [tex]a_1+a_2+a_3=a_1\left(1+\frac{a_2}{a_1}\right)\left(1+\frac{a_3}{a_1+a_2}\right)=1\left(1+\frac{2}{1}\right)\left(1+\frac{3}{1+2}\right)=1.(1+2).(1+1)=1.3.2[/tex]

For infinite sums, we have

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n=a_1\prod_{n=2}^\infty \left(1+\frac{a_n}{\sum_{k=1}^{n-1}a_k}\right)[/tex]

isn't there any thing that could just turn a sigma x to pi x'

without using one in the other or making either one a parameter of a function

japplepie said:
isn't there any thing that could just turn a sigma x to pi x'

without using one in the other or making either one a parameter of a function

If you want a general rule like

$$\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_n = \prod_{k=0}^\infty f(a_n),$$
then I think you're out of luck.

The closest thing I can think of is that functions ##f(z)## that are entire in the complex plane can be represented as infinite products. Since entire functions have a convergent Taylor series, you can equate the Taylor series to the product. However, even then, there's no simple relation between the sum coefficients (related to derivatives of f(z)) and the product coefficients (related to the zeros of f(z)).

Mute said:
If you want a general rule like

$$\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_n = \prod_{k=0}^\infty f(a_n),$$
then I think you're out of luck.

The closest thing I can think of is that functions ##f(z)## that are entire in the complex plane can be represented as infinite products. Since entire functions have a convergent Taylor series, you can equate the Taylor series to the product. However, even then, there's no simple relation between the sum coefficients (related to derivatives of f(z)) and the product coefficients (related to the zeros of f(z)).

but, it's NOT impossible to have one right?

japplepie said:
but, it's NOT impossible to have one right?

It depends on what exactly you want. eusoueuetuestu gave you an example of a general expression that converts a sum into a product, but the product representation involved a sum over some set of the a's, which sort of defeats the purpose.

If you want a relation

$$\sum_{k=1}^\infty a_k = \prod_{k=1}^\infty f_k(a_k),$$
then while I can't say for sure it's impossible, it very well could be. The fact that no one here knows such a relation suggests that if one exists, no one has derived it yet (or at least not such a relation that's practical). Converting sums to products would be useful in many situations, so one would think such a relation would be well known if it existed. I don't think I've ever seen any conversions other than

$$\ln\left(\prod_{k=1}^\infty a_n\right) = \sum_{k=1}^\infty \ln(a_k)$$
or
$$\exp\left(\sum_{k=1}^\infty a_k \right)= \prod_{k=1}^\infty \exp(a_k),$$
as have already been mentioned.

It is impossible to have a+b=f(a)f(b).
Indeed, it is even impossible to have a+b=f(a)g(b) for some functions f and g and for all a and b.

Suppose that was not the case. Then,

[itex]4=f(2)g(2) \wedge 6=f(4)g(2) \Rightarrow f(4)/f(2)=6/4=3/2[/itex]
(just divide the second equation by the first, you can do that since all members are different from 0)

[itex]6=f(2)g(4) \wedge 8=f(4)g(4) \Rightarrow f(4)/f(2)=8/6=4/3[/itex]
(same reason)

But then [itex]3/2=4/3[/itex] (absurd!)

If we want to prove that the relation [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n = \prod_{n=0}^\infty f_n(a_n)[/itex] is impossible, you can do that as well.
More generally, we can prove that it's impossible to have

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n = f(a_0)g(a_1,a_2,\ldots)[/tex] for all sequences [itex]a_n[/itex].
Of course, the first relation is a particular case with [itex]f(x)=f_0(x) \wedge g(x_1,x_2,\ldots)=\prod_{n=1}^\infty f_n(x_n)[/itex]

Suppose that it was possible. Then, for [itex]a_n[/itex] with [itex]a_n=2^{-n}[/itex] we have

[itex]2=\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n=f(a_0)g(a_1,a_2,\ldots)=f(1)g(1/2,1/4,\ldots)[/itex]

and,for [itex]a_n[/itex] with [itex]a_0=2[/itex] and [itex]a_n=2^{-n} (n>0)[/itex],

[itex]3=\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n=f(a_0)g(a_1,a_2,\ldots)=f(2)g(1/2,1/4,\ldots)[/itex]

Again, dividing the second equation by the first we get [itex]f(2)/f(1)=3/2[/itex]

For [itex]a_n[/itex] with [itex]a_0=1[/itex] and [itex]a_n=2^{-(n-1)} (n>0)[/itex] we have

[itex]3=\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n=f(a_0)g(a_1,a_2,\ldots)=f(1)g(1,1/2,\ldots)[/itex]

and,for [itex]a_n[/itex] with [itex]a_0=2[/itex] and [itex]a_n=2^{-(n-1)} (n>0)[/itex],

[itex]4=\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n=f(a_0)g(a_1,a_2,\ldots)=f(2)g(1,1/2,\ldots)[/itex]

So, [itex]f(2)/f(1)=4/3[/itex] and [itex]3/2=4/3[/itex] (absurd!)

It is also true that we can't have a.b=f(a)+g(b) for some functions f and g and for all a and b,
or [itex]\prod_{n=0}^\infty a_n = \sum_{n=0}^\infty f_n(a_n)[/itex] (the proofs would be similar).

1. What is the difference between infinite sums and infinite products?

In mathematics, an infinite sum is a series of numbers that is added together infinitely, while an infinite product is a series of numbers that is multiplied together infinitely. In other words, an infinite sum involves addition, while an infinite product involves multiplication.

2. Is it possible to transform infinite sums into infinite products?

Yes, it is possible to transform infinite sums into infinite products using a mathematical technique called the Euler product formula. This formula allows for the conversion of certain infinite sums, such as the Riemann zeta function, into infinite products.

3. What is the significance of transforming infinite sums into infinite products?

Transforming infinite sums into infinite products can be useful in mathematical analysis and making calculations easier. It also allows for new insights and connections between different mathematical concepts.

4. Are there any limitations to transforming infinite sums into infinite products?

Yes, not all infinite sums can be transformed into infinite products using the Euler product formula. The series must meet certain criteria, such as being absolutely convergent, in order for the transformation to be possible.

5. How does transforming infinite sums into infinite products relate to real-world applications?

While the concept of transforming infinite sums into infinite products may seem abstract, it has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, in financial modeling, infinite products can be used to represent compound interest and other exponential growth processes.