Simplify equation with negative exponents

In summary: It is really not strange at all; do you prefer to write (1/3) + (1/5) or 8/15?The answer can be written in either form, but it is usually preferable to write it in the form with the larger numerator.
Boba-Feet

Homework Statement

Simplify (x-2 - y-2) / (x-1 + y-1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I just factorised the numerator into x-1 - y-1 and x-1 + y-1. And was left with x-1 - y-1 as an answer. The textbook gives (y - x) / (xy) as the answer (no working shown). So after some substitution I've realized my answer and the textbook's are the same. But I would like to know how they got theirs and is it a simpler form of my answer?

And I read on the internet that polynomials with negative exponents are not called polynomials, is that true and what should they be called? Thanks a lot in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
To simplifying this equation is like simplifying any other fraction with a plus or minus in between it.

evaluate this:
[itex]\frac{1}{10} - \frac{1}{5}[/itex] = ?

Then, imagine that x = 10 and y = 5

Starting with your result, you can write ##x^{-1}=\frac{1}{x}## and do the same with y, and combine the sum to a single fraction afterwards.

And I read on the internet that polynomials with negative exponents are not called polynomials, is that true and what should they be called? Thanks a lot in advance :)
Well, they are polynomials in a different variable (##x^{-1}## instead of x)...
As functions, they are called rational functions.

MY first thought was to get rid of those negative exponents by multiplying both numerator and denominator by [itex]x^2y^2[/itex]. That gives
[tex]\frac{y^2- x^2}{xy^2- x^2y}= \frac{(y- x)(y+x)}{xy(x- y)}= \frac{y+ x}{xy}[/tex]

OK I am able to see how the textbook arrived at it's answer.
I looked at it and initially thought to factorise because I saw the difference of two squares (x^-2 - y^-2).
But the textbook writer thought to remove the negative exponents first. Strange that both answers look so different but mean the same thing.

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses.

Last edited:
Boba-Feet said:
OK I am able to see how the textbook arrived at it's answer.
I looked at it and initially thought to factorise because I saw the difference of two squares (x^-2 - y^-2).
But the textbook writer thought to remove the negative exponents first. Strange that both answers look so different but mean the same thing.

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses.

It is really not strange at all; do you prefer to write (1/3) + (1/5) or 8/15? Which way is "better" depends on what you want to do with the answer.

1. What is a negative exponent?

A negative exponent represents the inverse of a number raised to a positive exponent. For example, 2-3 is equivalent to 1/(23) = 1/8.

2. How do I simplify an equation with negative exponents?

To simplify an equation with negative exponents, you can use the rule that a-n = 1/an. This means that you can move a term with a negative exponent from the numerator to the denominator, or vice versa, by changing the sign of the exponent.

3. Can negative exponents be in the numerator?

Yes, negative exponents can be in the numerator. In this case, you can use the rule a-n = 1/an to rewrite the term with a negative exponent as a fraction with a positive exponent.

4. What if there are variables with negative exponents?

When there are variables with negative exponents, you can apply the same rule as before. For example, x-2 can be rewritten as 1/x2. Keep in mind that the variable and the exponent are separate entities, so the variable itself does not become negative.

5. Can I simplify an equation with negative exponents using logarithms?

Yes, you can use logarithms to simplify an equation with negative exponents. The logarithm rule for negative exponents is loga(1/an) = -n. By applying this rule, you can convert a negative exponent into a positive exponent, making it easier to solve the equation.