S_z matrix in s_y basis: three methods and three results

In summary, the two sets of y-eigenstates give two different results when expressing the ##s_z## matrix.
the_doors
Hello guys. when i write s_z matrix in s_y basis with unitary transformation i get s_y but in second method when i rotate s_z about x-axis ( - pi/2 ) to get s_z in s_y basis , i get -s_y ! and if we consider cyclic permutation, s_z becomes s_x. i am totally confused! three methods and three results !

thank you .

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
In your second method, use the right hand rule to see if you need a rotation of ( - pi/2 ) or ( pi/2 )?
In the third method, see that for the 3 coordinates you have 3 cyclic permutations: one of them is the one you mention (x–>y, y–>z, z–>x), another one gives you the identity, then what's the third one?

It's the coordinates system you're rotating here (passive transformation), so the angle is +pi/2.
For third method: yes, this is the other permutation: (x–>z, y–>x, z–>y).

but in this sulotion set i attached , he consider -pi/2 . and in the third method , we get s_x , so finally which is correct ? s_x or s_y ?

Thank you

Attachments

• sss.jpg
    sss.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 440
Well it looks to me that he's getting –s_y which is not what you want to get, so i'll keep saying that since we're rotating a coordinates system pi/2 makes sense to me..
cyclic permutation (x–>z, y–>x, z–>y) gets you from s_z to s_y, and (x–>y, y–>z, z–>x) from s_y to s_z; pick the one you need!

the problem is exactly here, with permutation : s_z in s_y basis : s_x but with unitary transformation or rotating method s_z in s_y basis : s_y . i mean why we have 2 results ? at last which of the results are correct ?

Put it this way: if you have a vector in real space pointing along the +y-direction with a set of equations involving positions, and want to call this direction your new z+ while keeping all equations you may have intact, it's fine as long as you perform the cyclic permutation (x–>y, y–>z, z–>x) in your coordinate system and in the equations. The same is true with spin matrices in the sense that it leaves the commutation relations unchanged... the other cyclic permutation would make you relabel the y-direction as x and apart from the identity transformation that's all the cyclic permutations you have.

Likes 1 person
the_doors said:
Hello guys. when i write s_z matrix in s_y basis with unitary transformation i get s_y

There is some freedom in choosing the ##s_y## eigenstates. For example, in the z-basis, the ##s_y## eigenstates are often taken to be $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \binom {1} {i},\;\;\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \binom {1} {-i}$$

Or, you can choose $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \binom {1} {i},\;\;\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \binom {i} {1}$$

See what you get if you take the first set of y-eigenstates as a basis for expressing the ##s_z## matrix.

Repeat for the second set of y-eigenstates.

1. What is an S_z matrix in S_y basis?

The S_z matrix in S_y basis is a representation of the spin operator in quantum mechanics. It describes the spin of a particle along the z-axis in terms of the spin along the y-axis.

2. What are the three methods of obtaining the S_z matrix in S_y basis?

The three methods are using the Pauli matrices, using the ladder operators, and using the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

3. What are the three results obtained from the S_z matrix in S_y basis?

The three results are the eigenvalues of the matrix, which represent the possible spin states of the particle along the z-axis, and the corresponding eigenvectors, which represent the direction of the spin along the y-axis for each eigenvalue.

4. How does the S_z matrix in S_y basis relate to other spin matrices?

The S_z matrix in S_y basis is related to the S_x and S_y matrices through a rotation of the spin vector in three-dimensional space. It can also be related to the total spin operator, S, through the equation S_z = S cos(theta), where theta is the angle between the z-axis and the spin vector.

5. What is the significance of the S_z matrix in S_y basis in quantum mechanics?

The S_z matrix in S_y basis is important in quantum mechanics because it allows for the calculation of spin states and measurements along different axes. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the spin of particles and its role in quantum systems.