Cleaning the Dust Out of My PC - A Year Later

In summary: Well the term debugging did come from when people had to go into those fat old valve computers and literally get rid of all the bugs that had flown in.
z-component
Today I decided to open up my PC's case and de-dust it. I usually do it once every 4-5 months but I've been putting it off and before today I hadn't done it for over a year... :uhh:

It took me about 20 minutes to clean all the dust out, starting with the main fan, the dust case around the fan, and then all the dust stuck in the corners of the chassis and around the cards. I recommend using compressed air to loosen the dust but I didn't have any so I had to pick with my fingers. I started with a wash cloth but had to go in with my hands to get every floating chunk of dust. :yuck:

You'd be surprised how much dust is getting circulated into your room if the inside of your PC (especially ON the fan) is dusty!

Physics news on Phys.org
You clean inside your pc :confused: i have trouble keeping the outside of mine
clean, the key board is a real pain with all the nooks and cranies, and i can never get a smear free monitor :grumpy:

z-component said:
Today I decided to open up my PC's case and de-dust it.
I never clean mine. Works just fine.

In my work we have high pressured cans of air for doing that

Anttech said:
In my work we have high pressured cans of air for doing that

Air? Bah, windolene's the stuff to clean computer hardware with.

Just some guy said:
Air? Bah, windolene's the stuff to clean computer hardware with.

I thought that was for cleaning windows :bugeye: on second thoughts maybe
if i give my mo bo a good windolenre clean it will be bug free :smile:

I send mine to NASA so they can just toss it in a windtunnel.

wolram said:
I thought that was for cleaning windows :bugeye: on second thoughts maybe
if i give my mo bo a good windolenre clean it will be bug free :smile:

Well the term debugging did come from when people had to go into those fat old valve computers and literally get rid of all the bugs that had flown in. I'm sure some windolene would have been of invaluable use compared to norton antivirus :tongue:

I thought you were suppsed to wear a heavy wool sweater and wiggle around in your chair for five minutes before touching anything inside the computer cabinet.:wink:

Ow that hurt! :frown: edward i hate you!

1. What is the purpose of cleaning the dust out of my PC?

Cleaning the dust out of your PC helps to prevent overheating and damage to your computer's components. Dust can clog fans, vents, and other areas, making it difficult for your computer to cool itself properly. It can also cause buildup on sensitive parts, leading to potential malfunctions.

2. How often should I clean the dust out of my PC?

The frequency of cleaning your PC's dust depends on various factors such as the environment your computer is in and how often you use it. Generally, it is recommended to clean the dust out of your PC at least once a year. However, if you notice your computer getting louder or overheating, it may be time to clean it more frequently.

3. What tools do I need to clean the dust out of my PC?

You will need a can of compressed air, a microfiber cloth, and a screwdriver (if you need to open your computer's case). You may also want to use a vacuum cleaner with a small nozzle to suck up any loose dust.

4. How do I clean the dust out of my PC?

Start by shutting down and unplugging your computer. Use the compressed air to blow dust away from the fans, vents, and other areas of your PC. Gently wipe any remaining dust with the microfiber cloth. If you need to open your computer's case, use the compressed air to blow out any dust inside and wipe down any components that may have accumulated dust.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when cleaning the dust out of my PC?

Yes, there are a few precautions to keep in mind. Make sure to handle the compressed air can carefully and do not shake it. Hold it upright and use short bursts to avoid freezing your computer's components. Also, avoid using any liquid or harsh chemicals to clean your PC, as they can damage the internal parts. And always remember to ground yourself by touching a metal object before handling any internal components to prevent static electricity from damaging your computer.