Understanding AGC in Communication Receivers

In summary, the purpose of delayed automatic gain controller (AGC) in communication receiver is to prevent the AGC voltage from reducing the receiver gain for very weak signals. This is achieved by using a low pass filter with an integration time constant of 1 Hz, which introduces a delay in the AGC. The addition of a reference voltage in the control loop can also cause a delay in the AGC action. However, time delayed AGC can result in overshoot and oscillation, so it is not desired in most cases. The AGC signal control voltage is meant to be an average over a second or two, and this requires a delay. Some receivers may use a nearly instantaneous AGC for amplitude modulated signals, but for most
erece
What is the purpose of delayed automatic gain controller (AGC) in communication receiver ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Delayed AGC is a bit of a misnomer. The AGC is delayed, not in time but in voltage. All it means is that the signal level must reach a specified value before an AGC voltage is developed. The purpose is to prevent the AGC voltage from reducing the receiver gain for very weak signals.

erece said:
What is the purpose of delayed automatic gain controller (AGC) in communication receiver ?
See figure 1 in this paper.

http://www.eecg.utoronto.ca/~kphang/papers/2001/martin_AGC.pdf

The low pass filter, with an integration time constant of the order of 1 Hz, controls the forward gain of the variable gain amplifier. The time constant introduces the AGC delay.

Bob S

Bob, I still don't agree. The only reference to delayed AGC in your reference is in the second sentence on page VI which says, "AGC systems that include a reference voltage inside the control loop are referred as delayed AGC." Unless I am missing something, I don't believe the addition of a reference voltage will cause a time delay in the AGC action. Its purpose is to disable the AGC at low signal levels.

I am not aware of any AGC systems in which a time delayed AGC is desired. True, in AM, SSB or QAM, the desired amplitude modulation needs to be filtered out of the AGC and that results in some time delay, but the delay introduced by the filtering is not desired. Time delayed AGC results in overshoot and if severe enough, oscillation.

skeptic2 said:
Bob, I still don't agree. The only reference to delayed AGC in your reference is in the second sentence on page VI which says, "AGC systems that include a reference voltage inside the control loop are referred as delayed AGC." Unless I am missing something, I don't believe the addition of a reference voltage will cause a time delay in the AGC action. Its purpose is to disable the AGC at low signal levels.
I believe the AGC is needed at all input signal levels to maintain a constant audio output signal level.
I am not aware of any AGC systems in which a time delayed AGC is desired. True, in AM, SSB or QAM, the desired amplitude modulation needs to be filtered out of the AGC and that results in some time delay, but the delay introduced by the filtering is not desired. Time delayed AGC results in overshoot and if severe enough, oscillation.
The AGC signal control voltage is supposed to be an average over a second or two. Causality requires that averaging produces a delay. Anything faster than this will distort the audio signal. This is why there is an RC low-pass filter in the feedback loop. Too much gain in the feedback loop will make it unstable.
Bob S

Bob S said:
The AGC signal control voltage is supposed to be an average over a second or two. Causality requires that averaging produces a delay. Anything faster than this will distort the audio signal. This is why there is an RC low-pass filter in the feedback loop. Too much gain in the feedback loop will make it unstable.
Bob S

For amplitude modulated signals this is true and many FM receivers don't use AGC, just limiting. However I once designed a nearly instantaneous AGC to be used in a TDMA receiver to compensate for changes in signal level in successive time slots. That AGC used a sample and hold at the peak of each cycle of the signal in the IF.

1. What is AGC in communication receivers?

AGC stands for Automatic Gain Control, which is a feature in communication receivers that automatically adjusts the gain or amplification of the received signal to maintain a constant output level. This helps to achieve a consistent and clear signal, even in situations where the received signal may be weak or fluctuating.

2. How does AGC work in communication receivers?

AGC works by continuously monitoring the strength of the received signal and adjusting the gain or amplification accordingly. When the received signal is weak, the AGC increases the gain to amplify the signal. Conversely, when the received signal is strong, the AGC decreases the gain to prevent overloading and distortion.

3. What are the benefits of using AGC in communication receivers?

AGC offers several benefits, including improved signal quality, reduced interference, and increased dynamic range. It also helps to protect the receiver from damage due to overloading. Additionally, AGC allows for a more efficient use of the receiver's amplification capabilities, resulting in better overall performance.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using AGC in communication receivers?

One potential drawback of AGC is that it can introduce some delay in the signal, which may affect real-time communication. Additionally, if the AGC is not properly calibrated or the received signal is too weak, it may cause the receiver to amplify background noise or unwanted signals.

5. Can AGC be turned off in communication receivers?

Yes, most communication receivers have the option to turn off AGC. This can be useful in situations where a constant gain is desired, such as when working with strong and stable signals. However, turning off AGC may result in a less clear or distorted signal in situations where the received signal is weak or fluctuating.