Vectors and moments (Vector diagram, horizontal/vertical components, weight)

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a vector and moments question. The question asks to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of tension in two strings holding a stone at rest. The person also needs to draw a vector diagram and calculate the weight of the stone using the diagram. The expert summarizes that the components of tension are equal due to no horizontal movement and suggests using the triangle method to solve the question.
jspake
Hello,
I was solving a vector & moments question as a part of my revision and got stuck somewhere. I really need your help.. some sub-questions are solved, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Here's the question (Its kinda long) :

The free-body diagram shows three forces that act on a stone hanging at rest from two strings.

3iiu2.jpg

(a) Calculate the horizontal component of the tension in each string. Why should these two components be equal in magnitude?

String 1: =F cosθ = 1 x cos60 =0.5 N
String 2: =F cosθ = 0.58 x cos30 = 0.5 N

The components are equal in magnitude because the stone is at rest and there is no horizontal movement.

(b) Calculate the vertical component of the tension in each string

String 1: F Sin θ = 1 x sin60 = 0.87N
String 2: F Sinθ = 0.58 x sin30 = 0.29N

(c) Use your answer to (b) to calculate the weight of the stone

= 0.87 + 0.29 N
= 1.16N
(Not sure about this answer)

(d) Draw a vector diagram of the forces on the stone. This should be a triangle of forces

I don’t know how to solve this one – please help!

(e) Use your diagram in (d) to calculate the weight of the stone

This one too.. help!

Physics news on Phys.org
jspake said:
The components are equal in magnitude because the stone is at rest and there is no horizontal movement.
No horizontal acceleration.

The approach for c is fine.

(d) Draw a vector diagram of the forces on the stone. This should be a triangle of forces

I don’t know how to solve this one – please help!
Hint: You already have all the forces in your diagram. Just shift the arrows around (and adjust their lengths) to get a triangle.
This will allow you to measure the length of the downwards force, too.

1. What is a vector diagram?

A vector diagram is a graphical representation of a vector quantity, which has both magnitude and direction. It is usually drawn as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

2. What are horizontal and vertical components of a vector?

Horizontal and vertical components of a vector are the two parts into which a vector can be broken down. The horizontal component is the part of the vector that is parallel to the x-axis, while the vertical component is parallel to the y-axis.

3. How do you calculate the horizontal and vertical components of a vector?

The horizontal and vertical components of a vector can be calculated using trigonometry. The horizontal component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the x-axis, while the vertical component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the sine of the angle.

4. What is the weight of an object?

The weight of an object is the force with which it is attracted towards the center of the Earth due to gravity. It is a vector quantity and its magnitude is equal to the product of the mass of the object and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How do you calculate the moment of a vector?

The moment of a vector is the measure of its tendency to rotate about a specific point or axis. It can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the perpendicular distance from the point or axis to the line of action of the vector.