Isfahan UCF Trouble: Confirmed or Denied?

• Thread starter zapperzero
  • Start date
In summary: I summarized the conversation. In summary, Borek said that UF6 is virtually negligible and should not be capable of causing short term health effects. He also said that if someone is inhaling uranium particles, they may be subject to some sort of heavy metal issues, but that it is not a radiation concern.
Engineering news on Phys.org
I can do neither, but I can say that the radiation from UF6 if virtually negligible and should not be capable of causing short term health effects.

When I was visiting a US nuclear fuel manufacturing facility, many people working with the pellets either had no ventilation, or one of those small paper masks.

Now if they are inhaling Uranium particles, they may be subject to some sort of heavy metal issues (we know heavy metals can be bad on the body), but if that is the case, it is not a radiation concern and a toxic/chemical one.

Hiddencamper said:
I can do neither, but I can say that the radiation from UF6 if virtually negligible and should not be capable of causing short term health effects.

When I was visiting a US nuclear fuel manufacturing facility, many people working with the pellets either had no ventilation, or one of those small paper masks.

Now if they are inhaling Uranium particles, they may be subject to some sort of heavy metal issues (we know heavy metals can be bad on the body), but if that is the case, it is not a radiation concern and a toxic/chemical one.

Don't forget their leaders treat mistakes as treason and they work at ground zero for Israel. Stress kills!

UF6 itself is volatile and highly toxic. It reacts with water producing (between other things) HF - so it is going to burn the skin on contact, even if in low concentrations in the air. Not something safe to work with, regardless of the radioactivity level.

I'd be careful attributing smog problems to Isfahan plant.
At this annual season pollution seems to be at its high, see http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/12/04/276119/tehran-air-pollution-shud-down-schools-offices/.

As Borek explained, UF6 forms hydrofluoric acid, which is probably even worse than HCl that is being produced in the lungs when chlorine gas being inhaled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tepconium-311 said:
I'd be careful attributing smog problems to Isfahan plant.

Well, I did no such thing.

1. Is there any truth to the rumors about trouble at Isfahan UCF?

At this time, there is no confirmed evidence of any trouble at Isfahan UCF. The rumors are just that - rumors. The university has not released any official statements about any issues or problems.

2. What sparked these rumors about Isfahan UCF?

The rumors seem to have originated from social media posts and online forums. Some people have claimed to have inside knowledge of issues at the university, but again, there is no concrete evidence to support these claims.

3. Has Isfahan UCF released any statements addressing these rumors?

No, the university has not released any official statements addressing the rumors. However, they have stated that they are aware of the rumors and are investigating the source of the misinformation.

4. Are there any signs of trouble at Isfahan UCF?

As of now, there are no visible signs of trouble at the university. Classes are running as usual, and there have been no reports of any major disruptions or issues on campus.

5. Should I be concerned about the safety of Isfahan UCF?

Based on the current information, there is no reason to be concerned about the safety of Isfahan UCF. However, it is always important to stay informed and aware of your surroundings, especially in areas where there have been rumors of trouble.