Register to reply

OS boot from a USB

by inotyce
Tags: boot
Share this thread:
inotyce
Aug28-13, 10:36 PM
P: 41
I would like to buy a USB HDD, e.g http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Transcen...&skuId=3930191
but my experience with USB HDD is limited after one USB HDD (LogicGate) of mine failed to re-operate suddenly and I lost all of my data; and I have never tried out any more USB HDDs since then.

Do you have any advice for me in using a USB HDD to store an OS and have it booted from there ? Like normal lager HDs in most desktop computers ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
Algr
Aug30-13, 02:09 AM
P: 152
A USB hard drive is invariably an ATA drive of some kind in a case with a USB adaptor. If you know what kind of drive is inside the case, its reliability will be the same in a USB case or inside a desktop case. The only difference is that the extra step of going through USB will likely limit the speed of the drive.

Is this USB 2 or 3? Is it a 3.5 inch drive, or 2.5? If 2.5 or smaller, is it bus powered?
inotyce
Aug30-13, 02:42 AM
P: 41
Quote Quote by Algr View Post
A USB hard drive is invariably an ATA drive of some kind in a case with a USB adaptor. If you know what kind of drive is inside the case, its reliability will be the same in a USB case or inside a desktop case. The only difference is that the extra step of going through USB will likely limit the speed of the drive.

Is this USB 2 or 3? Is it a 3.5 inch drive, or 2.5? If 2.5 or smaller, is it bus powered?
Thank you it is USB 3 (2.5" sold at $89.99)

harborsparrow
Sep2-13, 07:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 347
OS boot from a USB

This will work for Mac's, but for Windows, it is not usually done to try to boot from USB drives.
Algr
Sep3-13, 03:06 PM
P: 152
PCs can't boot from USB? Seriously? I'm actually booting from USB 2 right now due to a busted firewire port. System runs fine, but I assume things could be faster.
harborsparrow
Sep3-13, 04:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 347
I didn't say it wouldn't work--but the USB drive's version of Windows probably only works with that particular CPU and hardware. Whereas with a Mac, for example, you could take it to another computer and still use it to boot from. Given that USB drives are often slower, I would not recommend it as a way to boot Windows.

Register to reply