Need to step up voltage from 1.2V to 5V in seebeck pelteir plate setup

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a USB fire charger using the Seebeck effect of a pelteir plate. However, it is noted that a pelteir plate only produces 1.2 volts, while USB ports require 5 volts to charge devices. The suggested solution is to use a Boost DC-DC converter to step up the voltage. The conversation also references a link for using a solar panel to achieve 5 volts, raising the question of whether this could be applied to a pelteir plate as well.
yigiter007
My project is that I want to USB fire charger. Its a device that you place on or near fire that will use the Seebeck effect of a pelteir plate to charge a USB device.

So far I learned that i will only get 1.2 volts from a pelteir connected with a Schottky diode. USB ports need 5 V to charge any device.

I looked online on ways to step up voltage and the thing i found is a charge pump. Is the only way to step up voltages from 1.2 V to 5 V. I also found this link that steps up a solar panel voltage to 5 V, could the panel be swapped with a pelteir plate. (http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/SolarLight/PowerSupply5vSolar.html)

Thank you for your replies in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
yigiter007 said:
My project is that I want to USB fire charger. Its a device that you place on or near fire that will use the Seebeck effect of a pelteir plate to charge a USB device.

So far I learned that i will only get 1.2 volts from a pelteir connected with a Schottky diode. USB ports need 5 V to charge any device.

I looked online on ways to step up voltage and the thing i found is a charge pump. Is the only way to step up voltages from 1.2 V to 5 V. I also found this link that steps up a solar panel voltage to 5 V, could the panel be swapped with a pelteir plate. (http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/SolarLight/PowerSupply5vSolar.html)

Thank you for your replies in advance.

Welcome to the PF.

Use a Boost DC-DC converter to step up your voltage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter

:smile:

1. How does the Seebeck effect work?

The Seebeck effect is a phenomenon where a temperature difference between two dissimilar conductors or semiconductors creates a voltage difference. This occurs due to the difference in energy levels of the electrons in the materials, resulting in a flow of current.

2. What is the purpose of a Peltier plate in this setup?

A Peltier plate is a device that uses the Seebeck effect in reverse to transfer heat from one side to the other. In this setup, the Peltier plate is used to create a temperature difference between the two materials, which in turn, generates a voltage difference.

3. Can I use any materials for the Seebeck-Peltier setup?

The materials used in this setup should have a significant difference in their Seebeck coefficients and thermal conductivities. Commonly used materials include bismuth telluride, lead telluride, and antimony telluride.

4. How do I step up the voltage from 1.2V to 5V?

To step up the voltage, you can use a boost converter or a voltage multiplier circuit. These circuits use inductors, capacitors, and diodes to convert the low voltage input to a higher voltage output.

5. What are the applications of Seebeck-Peltier setups?

Seebeck-Peltier setups are commonly used in thermoelectric generators, refrigerators, and coolers. They are also used in sensors and energy harvesting devices, such as solar cells, where they can convert heat into electricity.