Is it difficult for a successful man to date a top physics student?

In summary: give some insight into the opinion that women can't be both equal and a man's girlfriend/spouse/sex partner?
anon,
If you're really looking for an egg donor, you can use your money to buy some eggs, pay a surrogate mother, and hire a nanny. The woman that you're looking for might want to know -- and I think it's only fair that you tell her -- whether you want to be her boyfriend/husband or her employer. It sounds like you're saying that, for the sake of your potential children, you're willing to give up being with someone who makes you happy. Is that right? I think that plan will fail insofar as having parents with that kind of a relationship is harmful to children.
I guess you're trying to make the best of what you think is a bad situation, but maybe the situation isn't as bad as you think. Have you really give up on finding someone who makes you happy? :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
I forget where I read this (or even if it was a credible source), but I heard that offspring tend to fall towards the mean on the IQ scale (Ie, back to 100 if the parents are >100, or towards 100 if <100). So if your parents are intelligent, that does not mean that you'll be intelligent.

Also, if you don't love the woman you have a child with, and something goes wrong, what then? Would you take care of a child with a handicap, or just walk out and leave him or her because you have no emotion invested in the relationship?

i think most women could make a man relatively happy if he makes a decent effort. female anatomy is the same across the board, so it's not like sex would be much different. of course going out with a hideous woman is depressing, but hopefully when I'm 30+, i'll be mature enough to live with that. most people aren't 10's, yet they get married.
no way, IQ is genetic.

I'm a physics girl!:uhh:
And I don't think all people who study sciences are smarter than other!(am I enough for provng your theory wrong? :biggrin:)

Lisa! said:
And I don't think all people who study sciences are smarter than other!(am I enough for provng your theory wrong? :biggrin:)
if you get into a top physics or math ph.d program, then you're at the least smarter than me.

Nope, I don't want to get into it although I don't think it would be difficult for me!
Anyway I just wanted to tell you that it's not only science people who're smart! I've not read all replies of this thread but I think you want to marry a smart girl so that your children would be smarter than you, eh?

I am friends with three couples who each have a toddler. In each couple, both mom and dad are highly intelligent and work in technical or scientific professions. Two couples have an autistic child and the third has a child who is developmentally delayed. With kids, you get what you get, and you love them no matter what.

i'll just get me any top physics ph.d. girl before I'm 30. i just hope they're not all stuck up.

Lisa! said:

:rofl: Took you long to reply to this thread :biggrin: .

Anon, why only physics and math girls ? I personally know 5 or 6 mol. biology girls who are much smarter than any physics girl I know (and math for that matter). But maybe its just a coincidence ...

Igor_S said:

Anon, why only physics and math girls ? I personally know 5 or 6 mol. biology girls who are much smarter than any physics girl I know (and math for that matter). But maybe its just a coincidence ...

Igor, because you can be sure that someone who gets into harvard physics program is really smart. But anybody can do biology... Of course if you're looking for generally prestigious women, you can try www.thesquare.com but i looked at some of their profiles and it seems that most of them are stuck up but don't have much to show for it. thankfully there arent any physics girls on there. I personally consider my best strategy is to secure a successful career, and then I would start attending gradschool physics seminars where i could try to flirt with physics girls in the audience. Hopefully 10 will shut me down, but 1 will appreciate my effort.

anon2000 said:
i'll just get me any top physics ph.d. girl before I'm 30. i just hope they're not all stuck up.
Why, was your mother a physicist?

Igor_S said:
Yeah, recently I just don't feel like replying to any thread especially this kind! :frown:

I must say, if you only have interest in credentials, and not the women themselves, then no good can come of it. :tongue:

A smart woman would simply realize that you want her only because of her genes and well I don't think she would stand this situation!:tongue2:

If you have some money and want to trade that for genes, then put an ad in the newspaper at Princeton and offer to pay a PhD stundent one year's tuition per egg. Your other plan sounds half-baked (at best).

Aether said:
If you have some money and want to trade that for genes, then put an ad in the newspaper at Princeton and offer to pay a PhD stundent one year's tuition per egg. Your other plan sounds half-baked (at best).

Yeah, I mean what would you say at a physics gradschool seminar... ? Maybe something like "... I agree it could be possible for gravity to be responsible for collapses of the quantum-mechanical states of the system... by the way, you smell lovely today, want to have a drink afterwards ?" :biggrin: .

"... I agree it could be possible for gravity to be responsible for collapses of the quantum-mechanical states of the system... by the way, you smell lovely today, want to have a drink afterwards ?"
Of course, this is a terrific setup for all sorts of rejection lines!