Installed some new ram now pc crashes

• Thread starter DarkAnt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc Ram
In summary: I also changed out my power supply to a 300 watt one and my computer still froze. could it be the power supply?
DarkAnt
I recently installed some new ram, a cd burner and a new video card. the card is a GeForce FX 5200. My computer worked flawlessly before this upgrade. Now it is freezing every now and then and it almost always freezes whenever it hibernates. I figured this was a power issue since my old power supply only supplied 123W and the video card alone required 150W. So I replaced the old power supply with a 300W one. I thought everything would work fine after that but my computer keeps freezing. Not nearly as much anymore but it does and it still always freezes whenever it hibernates. Could it be bad ram or something?

Help

Computer science news on Phys.org
Could be ram, but what are the system specs: motherboard, processor, and operating system specifically. Also, if its just when hibernating, why not stop having it hibernate?

It doesn't just happen when it hibernates. It happens a lot when I'm listening to music and playing games at the same time. I have an AMD Athlon processor, 1.04 gigs of ram and I am not sure what my mother board is. Since it happens a lot when I'm listening to music alot, could it be my audio driver?

300W is a bit low, especially with all the specs your talking about. You should be at around 400 to 500 W. Antec is top of the line and no more than $100 if you shop right. Never skimp on power supplies.

Also, you could try getting the lastest patches for windows xp.

(http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1023045997 [Broken])

It could also be a ram issue. Try taking out the new ram you put in.

Check if there are any IRQ conflicts.

Try reinstalling drivers.

Try reinstalling windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to have been the ram, back to the slower version of my computer:frown:

thanks

if your planning on getting more ram, make sure you get the proper clock speed. If the speed of the ram and the speed of the FSB don't match up, you'd probably be in for some trouble.

If you bought it online, you'll probably have a hard time getting a refund. IF you bought it at a Comp USA type store, just tell them it screwed up your pc, perhaps bring your Motherboard (or owners) manual with you so they can determine the correct ram for your pc.

I got some new ram and it seems to work fine.

1. Why is my computer crashing after installing new RAM?

There could be a few reasons for this. It's possible that the new RAM is faulty or incompatible with your computer. It's also possible that the installation was not done correctly, or that the RAM is not fully seated in the motherboard. Additionally, it's possible that the new RAM is causing conflicts with other hardware or software on your computer.

2. How can I tell if my new RAM is causing the crashes?

You can try removing the new RAM and see if the crashes stop. If they do, then it's likely that the new RAM is the cause. You can also run a memory diagnostic test to see if there are any errors with the new RAM.

3. Can I fix the issue without removing the new RAM?

If the issue is caused by faulty or incompatible RAM, then unfortunately, the only solution is to remove the new RAM and replace it with different, compatible RAM. You may also need to update your computer's BIOS to ensure compatibility with the new RAM.

4. Can I mix different types of RAM?

In most cases, it's not recommended to mix different types of RAM. This can cause conflicts and potentially lead to crashes. It's best to use the same type, speed, and brand of RAM for optimal performance and compatibility.

5. How can I avoid this issue in the future?

To avoid crashes after installing new RAM, it's important to make sure the RAM is compatible with your computer and that it is installed correctly. You can also update your computer's BIOS to ensure compatibility. It's also a good idea to purchase RAM from a reputable brand and to make sure you are buying the correct type and speed for your computer.