Understanding the Constant Speed of Light: A Brief Explanation

In summary, the concept of time dilation and the possibility of time travel have been discussed. It has been mentioned that the speed of light remains constant at ~300000000m/s even when the observer is moving towards it. This may seem counterintuitive, but it is supported by the experimental evidence of the Michelson-Morley experiment. Further research or explanation on this topic may be found by looking into this experiment.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. I've been reading about time dilation and the possibility of time travel, and I've come across a strange concept a few times.

Light traveling towards me will be traveling at ~300000000m/s if i am standing still. Apaprently, even if i move towards the light, the speed of the light relative to me will still be ~300000000m/s. I would have generally thought that the speed of light relative to me would be greater if I am moving towards it. I am finding it hard to understand this concept? Why is this possible?

Would anyone be able to please try to briefly explain, or even give links that may help me understand.

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is simply an experimental fact as i know. U may want to know more about the experiment, the Michelson-Morley experiment.

ok. Yea, that was another question i was meaning to ask...the name of the experiment which proved it. Thanks for telling me that :)

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics, denoted by the letter "c". In a vacuum, it is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s).

2. How was the speed of light first measured?

The first successful measurement of the speed of light was conducted in the 17th century by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer. He used observations of the moons of Jupiter to calculate the time it took for light to travel from Jupiter to Earth.

3. Is the speed of light constant?

Yes, the speed of light is believed to be a universal constant and the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. This is known as the theory of special relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905.

4. How does the speed of light compare to other speeds?

The speed of light is incredibly fast and is often used as a benchmark for other speeds. For example, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second, which is significantly slower than the speed of light. Even the fastest man-made objects, such as spacecraft, are only a fraction of the speed of light.

5. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of special relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. However, some theories, such as the theory of general relativity, suggest that there may be ways to manipulate space and time to achieve faster-than-light travel. These ideas are still being explored and are not yet fully understood.