HOw do u decode this statement to find its equivalent?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the conversation discusses a practice exam question that asks for an equivalent statement to "It is not true in general that two real numbers must be equal if their squares are equal." After some discussion, the conclusion is that the correct answer is "There are two different real numbers that have the same squares," which is logically equivalent to "There exists real numbers x and y, such that x^2 = y^2 and x != y." The conversation also clarifies the difference between universal and existence statements and the importance of understanding the "not true" aspect of the original statement.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, another pratice exam question I'm having issues on.

Which statement is equivalent to the following statement?
It is not true in general that two real numbers must be equal if their squares are equal.

Would i write an existence statement like

There exists 2 real numbers, x and y, such that if x = y then x^2=y^2.

But the statement is It is NOT true...so now would i take the negation of that existence statement and get...

~(There exists 2 real numbers, x and y, such that if x = y then x^2=y^2.) =
There are 2 real numbers, x, and y, such that x = y and x^2 != y^2.

But this isn't right, because the answer is the following:

THere are two different real numbers that have the same square.

I don't see how they came up with this. Any help would be great.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not true in general that two real numbers must be equal if their squares are equal.
Decode? This isn't a code, it is a statement. You don't rephrase it by following some formula, you do it by thinking! Notice that the last part of it is "if two squares are equal". It is not true that "if x2= y2 then x= y". Note that the "if" part is not your "if x= y" but "if x2= y[/sup]2[/sup]".

If you must apply formulas without thinking, then use this: the negation of "for all x, ..." is "for somex, not ...".
The negation of "for all x, y if x2= y[/sup]2[/sup] then x= y" is "There exist x, y such that x is not equal to y but x2= y[/sup]2[/sup]."

Thanks for the clarification.

I thought this was an existence statement, not a universal.

but is it universal? its not saying for all real numbers, but for just 2, that's why i thought they ment existence rather than universal.

if its universal would it be this?
For all real numbers x and y, if x^2= y^2 then x = y.

But I'm not sure where I would be the "not true" part, or does the "not true" mean to take the negation of the statement?
so it would be

There exists real numbers x and y, such that x^2 = y^2 and x != y.

I believe this negation is correct if it was a universal statement but it can't be right because its not the answer on the exam. So either the "it is not true" part is messing me up or I used a universal statement where I should be using an existence statement. But I'm not sure which.

Or does There exists real numbers x and y, such that x^2 = y^2 and x != y. Logically equivlent to saying: There are two different real numbers that have the same squares? Since this is existence, and not universal i see where they are getting "there are two different real numbers" and its not saying x == y, but saying they are not equal, but it is saying x^2 = y^2 so maybe it is right.

Last edited:
mr_coffee said:
Thanks for the clarification.

I thought this was an existence statement, not a universal.

but is it universal? its not saying for all real numbers, but for just 2, that's why i thought they ment existence rather than universal.
It says "in general". Yes, it talks about two numbers but they can be any two numbers. That's why this is a universal statement.

if its universal would it be this?
For all real numbers x and y, if x^2= y^2 then x = y.
Yes, that's exactly what it says.

But I'm not sure where I would be the "not true" part, or does the "not true" mean to take the negation of the statement?
Yes, the statement is "It is not true in general that ..." and then the entire statement. It is the negation of the entire statement

so it would be

There exists real numbers x and y, such that x^2 = y^2 and x != y.

I believe this negation is correct if it was a universal statement but it can't be right because its not the answer on the exam.
Tnen what was the answer on the exam?

So either the "it is not true" part is messing me up or I used a universal statement where I should be using an existence statement. But I'm not sure which.

Or does There exists real numbers x and y, such that x^2 = y^2 and x != y. Logically equivlent to saying: There are two different real numbers that have the same squares? Since this is existence, and not universal i see where they are getting "there are two different real numbers" and its not saying x == y, but saying they are not equal, but it is saying x^2 = y^2 so maybe it is right.
That last sentence completely confuses me! If you are saying that the answer on the exam was "There are two different real numbers that have the same squares", the is exactly the same as your "There exists real numbers x and y, such that x^2 = y^2 and x != y".

I would be inclined to say "There are two different real numbers that have the same squares" is a better answer than "there exist real numbers x and y, such that x^2= y^2 and x != y" because it is worded in the same way as the original statement "It is not true in general that two real numbers must be equal if their squares are equal" rather than "It is not true, for all real numbers x, y, that if x^2= y^2, then x= y".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ivey!

Yes the answer was:
There are two different real numbers that have the same squares.

Sorry I ramble a lot in my posts, I shall try to minimize that.

1. What does it mean to "decode" a statement?

Decoding a statement means to analyze and interpret its meaning, often by breaking it down into smaller components and understanding how they relate to each other.

2. Why is it important to decode a statement to find its equivalent?

Decoding a statement allows us to understand its true meaning and to accurately translate it into an equivalent statement. This is important because it ensures effective communication and helps avoid misinterpretation.

3. What are some strategies for decoding a statement to find its equivalent?

Some strategies for decoding a statement include identifying key words and phrases, breaking the statement into smaller parts, and considering the context and tone of the statement.

4. Can a statement have more than one equivalent after being decoded?

Yes, a statement can have multiple equivalents depending on the context and interpretation of the statement. Different individuals may also have different interpretations, leading to different equivalents.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when decoding a statement to find its equivalent?

One common mistake is assuming that a statement can be decoded and translated literally. It is important to also consider cultural and linguistic nuances that may affect the meaning and equivalent of a statement.