Plasmons, Surface Plasmons, Localized Plasmons Im confused

In summary, the conversation discusses the terms plasmon, surface plasmon, localized plasmon, and resonance in relation to nanostructured materials. Localized plasmons are plasmons that occur in nanoparticles and are highly dependent on the shape of the nanoparticle. Plasmon resonance is the phenomenon of exciting a plasmon at its eigenfrequency, and localized surface plasmons are tunable by changing the shape of the nanoparticle.
Repetit
I don't really know where this thread belongs so I'll just put it here.

Im pretty confused about all these terms. I mean, a plasmon is a collective oscillation of the electrons in the material (right?), and a surface plasmon is a plasmon traveling along the surface of a material, but what are localized plasmons? And where does the term "resonance" fit in (as in surface plasmon resonance, and localized surface plasmon resonance).

Are some of these just different terms for the same physical phenomena or what? Could someone please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard of localized plasmons in nanostructured materials. I'm guessing that if you can spatially confine an electron gas, you will see localized plasmons. You'll have to get more on this from someone else.

Plasmon resonance is the phenomenon of exciting a plasmon at its eigenfrequency by shining a laser at it with this frequency. This is no different from the resonance induced in any harmonic oscillator by matching the forcing frequency (or excitation frequency) to the natural frequency of the oscillator.

Localised surface plasmons are plasmons that occur in nanoparticles and a characterised by the fact that the plasmon properties are highly dependant on the shape of the nanoparticle, unlike surface plasmons in bulk media. This makes LSPs tunable to an extent by changing the shape of the nanoparticle.

Claude.

1. What are plasmons?

Plasmons are collective oscillations of free electrons in a metal or semiconductor material. They are considered to be quasiparticles, meaning they behave like particles but are actually a result of the collective behavior of many electrons.

2. What are surface plasmons?

Surface plasmons are plasmons that are confined to the surface of a metal or semiconductor material. They can be excited by light and are responsible for phenomena such as surface-enhanced Raman scattering and localized surface plasmon resonance.

3. What are localized plasmons?

Localized plasmons are plasmons that are confined to a small region, typically in the nanometer scale. They can be excited by light or by the interaction with other particles, and can be used for applications such as sensing and imaging.

4. How are plasmons different from photons?

Plasmons and photons are both types of electromagnetic waves, but they differ in their properties. Plasmons are confined to the surface of a material and have a shorter wavelength compared to photons, which can travel freely in space. Additionally, plasmons can interact with matter more strongly than photons, making them useful for applications such as nanoscale sensing.

5. How is the study of plasmons relevant to current research?

The study of plasmons has become increasingly important in various fields such as nanophotonics, optoelectronics, and material science. By understanding and manipulating plasmons, researchers hope to develop new technologies for sensing, light manipulation, and energy harvesting. They also play a crucial role in the development of nanoscale devices and advanced imaging techniques.