I'm wondering, how many people would have a problem dating someone like this?

• Thread starter user299792458
  • Start date
In summary, the survey is asking whether people have had similar experiences before, and whether the results will be the same on ImageCraze. The survey is asking questions about safe systems of work, and employees' responsibilities. The survey is also asking about dating and relationships.

Would you have a problem with this?

• You wouldn't date her because of THAT

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • You wouldn't care about THAT

Votes: 66 89.2%
  • You PREFER people like that

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
Id date her.. she is gorgeous.. assuming she wasnt a psycho.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't date her because of her deficiency elsewhere.
That wasn't an option in the poll.

arildno said:
I wouldn't date her because of her deficiency elsewhere.
That wasn't an option in the poll.

Could you explain this? What is her deficiency elsewhere and do you mean big t*ts or a fine old ass :smile: etc.

I'd give her a roll in the hay, but then I'm less discriminatory these days.

I would have no qualms about it. W might thrash me around a bit if I tried, though. :rolleyes:
For her own sense of well-being, however, she would have to hide my toolbox.

Gentleman said:
The prosthetic used in the picture was on purpose to shock young people to think about safety. Many prosthetics look like the real thing but some do not.
Yes, the prosthetic used in the photo is an athletic prosthetic, probably not something most people would wear all the time. She also has a very realistic looking prosthetic which she wears.
Gentleman said:
From elsewhere, it obvious she is also very intelligent.
From WHERE? Is this supposed to be a joke or something? Since when is thinking that it's completely safe to walk over a moving conveyor belt just because everyone else is doing it considered intelligent?

user299792458 said:
Yes, the prosthetic used in the photo is an athletic prosthetic, probably not something most people would wear all the time. She also has a very realistic looking prosthetic which she wears.

From WHERE? Is this supposed to be a joke or something? Since when is thinking that it's completely safe to walk over a moving conveyor belt just because everyone else is doing it considered intelligent?
Intelligence does not necessarily guarantee common sense. How the accident happened is not described. Perhaps she took a risk and lost.

Of course, from the evidence presented, we cannot know intelligent the woman is.

Astronuc said:
Intelligence does not necessarily guarantee common sense. How the accident happened is not described. Perhaps she took a risk and lost.

Of course, from the evidence presented, we cannot know intelligent the woman is.

Here are some of the things that she either said (I'm paraphrasing, since I don't remember the exact wording, but the meaning remains exactly the same) or that were written about her (emphasis mine):

Candace had NO IDEA she could get hurt at her summer job (she was working at a damn FACTORY for crying out loud, I knew factories aren't exactly safe since I was a little kid).

There were adults working at the mill, I thought they were looking after me (people go to war at 18, she was already 21).

I just trusted the company and thought that if there was any possible danger in using the shortcut, it would've been pointed out.

Everyone used the shortcut and no one said anything about it, so I assumed it was completely safe.

"(Trainees) were made to believe that the workplace was safer than it really was. The trainer just played the video, left the room, came back when it was finished, rewound the tape and left -- no discussion! So we thought safety wasn't important -- that the training was a waste of time!"

"anyone and everyone walked over top of this conveyor belt. I can't even count how many times a day without even looking down to see if it was moving or on or what was going on and one day I was walking through there and I went to cross over and put my foot down at exactly the wrong place at exactly the wrong time."

Your point is well made! Oops!

I guess this supports that there are some young adults who do not know how to work and how to work safely. What young people really need to know may have never been taught them.

Gentleman said:
Your point is well made! Oops!

I guess this supports that there are some young adults who do not know how to work and how to work safely. What young people really need to know may have never been taught them.
Yeah... I find her statements to be pretty shocking actually. I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that a (presumably non-retarded) 21-year-old would say such things. I remember when I was 12 I already knew very well that I had to look out for myself, I didn't even trust close relatives to look out for me, even when they were nearby. But this girl expected adults who worked at the factory to look after her. Excuse me, but wasn't she an adult herself? And the stuff she said about not knowing that she could get hurt at a f*cking factory, really, it just boggles my mind... I can understand that a person might KNOWINGLY take a risk and lose. BUT, she DID NOT even know that she was taking a risk! It's kind of sad actually. She even admitted that she was being payed big bucks while flirting with the guys and hanging out in the break room longer than she should. Here's something else she said, "I didn’t have any other worries than thinking about my back-to-school outfit, the cute guy at work and getting out of Mirimichi and back to Fredericton where there were more cute guys,” Another arcticle said that one of the first questions she later asked her doctor, was, "Will boys still like me?" Jeez...

The factory closed off that shortcut over the belt, of course, and obviously they had to repair that conveyor. I think they also stopped hiring students for the summer, and they were fined $10,000, all because of this clown, who had no idea she could get hurt. Come to think of it, maybe she deserved this harsh lesson she'll never forget. It could have been MUCH worse.

Anyway, what did you mean when you said that "From elsewhere, it obvious she is also very intelligent"?

Last edited:
Here's something else she said, "I didn’t have any other worries than thinking about my back-to-school outfit, the cute guy at work and getting out of Mirimichi and back to Fredericton where there were more cute guys,” Another article said that one of the first questions she later asked her doctor, was, "Will boys still like me?" Jeez...
:rolleyes: Not someone I'd be interested in dating.

I have worked with people who did not understand the danger of industrial or construction areas. I have seen people nearly get killed.

Astronuc said:
:rolleyes: Not someone I'd be interested in dating.
LOL! As I read her story, I noticed that she mentioned her parents, her friends, her co-workers, but she never ever mentioned how her boyfriend reacted to the accident! At first, I thought maybe she had a girlfriend instead of a boyfriend, but then I read another article about her, which said that she asked her doctor if boys will still like her. And later, I saw that other article which mentioned how she thought about boys and her back-to-school outfit. Oh, here's something I forgot to mention (emphasis added):

"One of the first questions Candace Carnahan asked her doctor after her left leg was amputated below the knee was: "Will boys still like me?"

The university student laughs today when you ask her for the answer to that question.

Yes, she says modestly, although she's too busy criss-crossing the country, talking to young people about safety in the workplace, to have much time for serious romance." (Ok, really, how busy can she be? Does that mean airline pilots don't have girlfriends or wives? they're busy traveling the world too, aren't they?)

Psss... I think she's a whore... Maybe she should go out with another conveyor belt, the first one had a big crush on her, didn't it?

Here's another exert from that article:

Carnahan recounted how her foot got caught in a small opening in the conveyor belt, how she screamed and how a man pressed the stop button on the machine.

She may have been in shock, but Carnahan said, "I remember every second being caught there." She felt a burning pain in her foot, but refused to look down to see how badly injured she was.

Instead, she focused on the faces of the co-workers who looked on as she remained trapped there for 25 minutes.

Many of them were men, many of them crying and throwing up, their faces white and pale.

People frantically asked where her parents were because both work for the paper mill. Fortunately, said Carnahan, her mother was off and was shopping because she wouldn't have been able to bear the sight of her injured daughter. Her father was brought to the mill and passed out when he saw her.

Carnahan was taken to Miramichi Hospital and, when she awoke the next day, her foot was bandaged and she didn't feel any pain.

It wasn't a good sign.

Last edited:
user299792458 said:
Psss... I think she's a whore...

I think that's quite enough. Really, let's stop with the judgment.

But check this out:

The plant she worked at hired the children of its employees for summer jobs that paid $24 an hour and students were excited to be working there.

Can you imagine getting paid $24 an hour for pushing paper around with a broom (which is what she did, according to another article)?

It was Aug. 11, 1999, and it started out like any other day, said Carnahan. Her father made her pancakes for breakfast...

Well, that's sweet, guess she had a loving father. Why wasn't she making pancakes for him though?

Last edited:
user299792458 said:
But check this out:

Can you imagine getting paid $24 an hour for pushing paper around with a broom (which is what she did, according to another article)?

Well, that's sweet, guess she had a loving father. Why wasn't she making pancakes for him though?

What's your problem? I certainly wouldn't like to date someone as judgemental and apparently disrespectful as you.

user299792458 said:

That happens everywhere you. The whole purpose is to give some money to students, but get them to work for it a little. More like a scholarship program if anything just not titled as so.

Get over yourself.

I worked in a warehouse that delivered to ships (lakers). Safety was a big issue. You break a rule, and you can kicked off the dock and never allowed to return. They would frown at you. Safety was taken seriously. I left the job itself because of the risks involved. (The risks are even bigger considering I'm hearing impaired and would be less likely to hear something coming.)

Anyways, why wasn't safety taken seriously at the factory? I have no clue.

Sure she wasn't being very bright, but at my job, lots of things were dangerous that you didn't even think it would be. People worked like it was nothing, but they did warn you before you attempted it. Why didn't anyone warn the students about the bad habits around at work?

JasonRox said:
That happens everywhere you. The whole purpose is to give some money to students, but get them to work for it a little. More like a scholarship program if anything just not titled as so.

Get over yourself.

The last time I checked, most students were getting more like $6/hour, not $24.

What has any of this got to do with the original question?

I just noticed this thread. Put me down for "don't care about that".

That girl is CUTE. :!)

user299792458 said:
Psss... I think she's a ***** ...
I would prefer such a judgemental and harsh statement be removed.

The young lady (like some many young people - male as well as female) seems concerned about her acceptability to members of the opposite gender.

Mallignamius said:
I think that's quite enough. Really, let's stop with the judgment.
I agree!

In the words of ZapperZ: Oy!

I just read the rest of the thread. Time to get back on topic, and stop the ugliness.

Astronuc said:
The young lady (like some many young people - male as well as female) seems concerned about her acceptability to members of the opposite gender.

That's actually kind of true.

When I first had to wear my hearing aid, that was basically my main concern at the time.

Most people said it wouldn't be, but I doubt it. It's easier said than done.

Astronuc said:
It would've been better if she had been concerned about moving conveyor belts though...

user299792458 said:
It would've been better if she had been concerned about moving conveyor belts though...

Easier said than done. Read my previous posts.

This thread has started going downhill.

Time to say good night Gracie.