Why a reboot always fixes a computer?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary: It's a matter of trust.In summary, modern machines are prone to problems that can be fixed with a reboot.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
What is it with modern machines, from laptops to multi million pound
production lines, to cure a problem requires a reboot.:confused:
In the olden days a well placed thump cured a machine of the colly
wobbles.
I could shake the living day bytes out of some of these machines, they
tell you one thing, lead you up the garden path, get you pulling
your hair out trying to find the problem, when all they need is a
reboot, reboot, reboot :grumpy:
And some machines are blatant liers, i know one that will tell me it
is running, but it ****** well aint, it will give me an endless list of
the things it thinks is wrong with it ***** hypochondriac, but all it
needs is a reboot.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Yep, a good BOOT still fixes a lot of things. :biggrin: :rofl:

Someone must be using windows.

Just wipe and reinstall. Thats their official advice. Dont you know that bitrot is real? At least according to a certain Mr Gates...

I don't really care about whether you use windows or macs, as long as its a good computer with nice hardware.

Mac users tend to act like they're part of a new social trend. It's like the new 'emo' except for techies

Ki Man said:
I don't really care about whether you use windows or macs, as long as its a good computer with nice hardware.

Mac users tend to act like they're part of a new social trend. It's like the new 'emo' except for techies

I'm lolling at you. You'll never know why.

Better not reboot a aircraft control system.

interested_learner said:
Better not reboot a aircraft control system.

Or a carrier class system. Less than five minutes of down time per year for the win.

Ki Man said:

franznietzsche said:
I'm lolling at you. You'll never know why.

:rofl: :rofl: I love inside jokes.

There's few things I like more than a clean slate. Wake up clean & try something new, something different.

wolram said:
What is it with modern machines, from laptops to multi million pound
production lines, to cure a problem requires a reboot.:confused:
In the olden days a well placed thump cured a machine of the colly
wobbles.
A reboot is a fresh start. A lot of human problems work the same way. Female problems especially. I've tried Moonbear's approach there, but I've found they generally respond to the reboot approach better than to the boot approach.

russ_watters said:
A reboot is a fresh start. A lot of human problems work the same way. Female problems especially. I've tried Moonbear's approach there, but I've found they generally respond to the reboot approach better than to the boot approach.

How do you reboot women? PLEASE TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!

Actually, it is usually a matter of the female rebooting the male: they ignore you for a while, then pretend nothing happened.

i always claim that my "technician" title among my friend is a direct result of my ability to reboot, or reinstall.

In all seriousness, the reboot is due to the lack of confidence in software or the system in general. While the software is never SUPPOSED to be caught in an endless loop somewhere, fail to reset some obscure bit, or a host of other things, engineers usually have the most confidence in the operation of the machine starting from the moment that the power switch is thrown rather than any other time.

1. Why does rebooting always fix a computer?

Rebooting a computer essentially means restarting it. This allows the computer's operating system to shut down all running processes and start fresh. It also clears out the computer's memory and frees up any frozen or stuck processes, which can often be the cause of issues. A reboot also allows the computer to reload all necessary drivers and settings, which can help resolve any software conflicts that may be causing problems.

2. Is rebooting the same as resetting a computer?

No, rebooting and resetting a computer are two different processes. Rebooting refers to restarting the computer, while resetting involves restoring the computer to its factory settings. Resetting a computer should only be done as a last resort, as it will erase all data and applications on the computer.

3. How often should I reboot my computer?

It is generally recommended to reboot your computer at least once a week. This allows for any pending updates to be installed and can help keep the computer running smoothly. However, if you notice any issues with your computer, it is always a good idea to reboot it to see if that resolves the problem.

4. Can a computer be fixed without rebooting?

In some cases, yes, a computer can be fixed without rebooting. For example, if the issue is caused by a specific program or application, simply closing and reopening that program may resolve the issue. However, in many cases, rebooting is the most effective way to fix a computer issue.

5. Why does my computer need to be rebooted after installing updates?

When updates are installed on a computer, it often requires a reboot in order for the changes to take effect. This is because some updates may involve changes to the operating system or other critical components that cannot be implemented while the computer is running. Rebooting allows these changes to be fully applied and can prevent any potential issues from arising.