Drive a piezo crystal to produce ultrasound?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of an item, linked in a PDF file, to drive a piezo crystal for producing ultrasound. The speaker is interested in using this method for a small underwater depth sensor, with concerns about the frequency range needed and the cost of a specialized transducer. The conversation also mentions helpful links and the depth range being considered.
Adder_Noir
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Those links are great, thanks Astronuc.

The depths are shallow and thus I'm told by an expert in San Diego and one of the lads on here that frequency ranges of 1MHz are needed. My only worry is will a piezo not necessarily made to operate at such frequencies still be usable to make ultrasound with this method or will I have to start shelling out lots of cash for a full blown transducer (they're a good £250+ for a 1MHz one).

If I could get it to transmit then I could amplify the return signal well enough to process it. I'm only talking 6 feet or so.

Last edited:

1. What is a piezo crystal?

A piezo crystal is a type of crystal that can convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa. It is made of materials such as quartz, tourmaline, and topaz, and is commonly used in electronic devices and sensors.

2. How does a piezo crystal produce ultrasound?

When an electrical current is applied to a piezo crystal, it vibrates at a high frequency. This vibration creates sound waves that travel through the air as ultrasound.

3. What are the applications of ultrasound produced by a piezo crystal?

Ultrasound produced by a piezo crystal has a wide range of applications, including medical imaging, sonar technology, and industrial cleaning. It is also used in non-destructive testing, where it can detect flaws or defects in materials.

4. Can a piezo crystal produce different frequencies of ultrasound?

Yes, a piezo crystal can produce a wide range of frequencies depending on its size and shape. By varying the electrical current applied to the crystal, different frequencies of ultrasound can be produced.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using ultrasound produced by a piezo crystal?

While ultrasound produced by a piezo crystal is generally considered safe, there are some potential risks associated with prolonged exposure to high-intensity ultrasound. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when using ultrasound equipment.