One-Parameter Groups:John Lee's Vector Field Analysis

In summary, you are looking for curves that run off to infinity, and one point in R^2 is a singularity of the vector field.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, everyone. I am new here, so I hope I am follow the protocols. Please
let me know otherwise. Also, I apologize for not knowing Latex yet, tho
I hope to learn it soon.

am trying to show that the vector field:

X^2(del/delx)+del/dely

Is not a complete vector field. I think this is
from John Lee's book, but I am not sure (it was in my
class notes.)

From what I understand, we need to find the
integral curves for the vector field first, i.e
we need to solve the system:

dx/dt=[x(t)]^2

and

dy/dt=1

I found the solutions to be given by (1/(x+c),y+c')

c,c' real constants.

In my notes ( 2-yrs old, unfortunately) , there is a solution:

Phi(x,t)=(1/(1-tx), y+t)

somehow in function of (x,t)

In addition, there is a statement that Phi(x,t)
satisfies:

Phi(x,t+s)=Phi(x,t)oPhi(x,t) (o = composition)

and that Phi satisfies certain initial conditions
(which were not given explicitly for the problem).

I suspect this has to see with one-parameter groups,
but I am not sure of it, and I don't understand them
that well, nor the relation with complete V.Fields.

I would appreciate any explanation or help.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, just to be clear, are you asking whether the vector field
[tex]x^2 \, \partial_x + \partial_y[/tex]
is complete on [itex]R^2[/itex]? (Click on the graphic to see the latex code I used to produce this expression.)

(For other readers: a complete vector field, thought of as a homogeneous linear first order differential operator, generates a globally defined flow, i.e. a global action by R on our manifold.)

Good book by the way, one of the few which stresses the crucial global versus local distinction.

Likes member 587159
Actually, yes, that is what I was asking. Sorry, I tried to use the quote option,
but it came out garbled.

" (For other readers: a complete vector field, thought of as a homogeneous linear first order differential operator, generates a globally defined flow, i.e. a global action by R on our manifold.)

Good book by the way, one of the few which stresses the crucial global versus local distinction.[/QUOTE]"

Thanks.

Hi, WWGD,

Well, first you should try to find the integral curves of the vector field [itex]x^2 \, \partial_x + \partial_y[/itex]; good, that's what you did. Good, you got
[tex] x(s) = \frac{x_0}{1 - s \, x_0}, \; y(s) = y_0+s [/tex]
(That's the unique integral curve, parameterized by s, which passes through [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex].)

There are basically two things to look for:
1. some of the integral curves "run off to infinity" in finite lapse of parameter,
2. some point in R^2 is a singularity of the vector field.
See p. 440 of your textbook.

About one parameter groups (aka unidimensional subgroups of the group of diffeomorphisms on R^2, aka uniparametric subgroups), yes, a globally defined flow on R^2 is an action by R on R^2, so one way of thinking about this is to ask whether, when we let s by any real number above, our integral curves define an action by R on R^2 (think of R as the group of real numbers under addition). See p. 448 of your textbook.

Last edited:

What is a one-parameter group?

A one-parameter group is a collection of smooth maps that preserve a given structure, such as a smooth manifold or a vector field, while varying along a continuous parameter.

What is John Lee's Vector Field Analysis?

John Lee's Vector Field Analysis is a mathematical framework for studying vector fields on smooth manifolds, which has applications in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and geometry.

How are one-parameter groups and vector fields related?

One-parameter groups can be used to study and analyze vector fields, as they provide a way to continuously vary a given vector field while preserving its structure. This allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of the vector field.

What are some applications of one-parameter groups and vector field analysis?

One-parameter groups and vector field analysis have applications in various fields, such as dynamical systems, control theory, and differential equations. They can also be used to study physical systems, such as fluid flow and electromagnetism.

What are some key concepts in one-parameter groups and vector field analysis?

Some key concepts include Lie derivatives, flow maps, and Lie groups. Lie derivatives are used to measure how a vector field changes along another vector field. Flow maps are used to describe the trajectory of a point under the influence of a vector field. Lie groups are used to study the symmetries and transformations of a vector field.