I=kV^n filament lamp hnc assignment

In summary, the purpose of studying "I=kV^n filament lamp hnc assignment" is to understand the relationship between current (I) and voltage (V) in a filament lamp and how it is affected by the power law exponent (n). The power law exponent (n) represents the resistance of the filament lamp and determines how the current changes with respect to the voltage. The current (I) in a filament lamp follows a power law relationship with the voltage (V), with different values of n resulting in different characteristics of the lamp. The "I=kV^n filament lamp hnc assignment" equation has practical applications in electrical engineering, physics, and materials science for analyzing and designing circuits and studying material behavior.
paul115

Homework Statement

what does k and n relate to? i can work them out but don't know exactly what they are.

Homework Equations

I=kV^n

The Attempt at a Solution

i think the k and n have something to do with temperature and the tungsten metal in the lamp (coefficient of resistance?)? if anyone can help that would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The n is just a dimensionless number, and the k is a coefficient with units of [itex]A/V^n[/itex].

Hello,

The equation I=kV^n relates to the current (I) through a filament lamp, which is a type of incandescent light bulb, and its voltage (V). The parameters k and n represent the constants of the lamp, with k being the proportionality constant and n being the exponent.

The constant k is referred to as the "lamp constant" and is dependent on the characteristics of the filament material, such as its length, diameter, and resistivity. It also takes into account the temperature coefficient of resistance, which is a measure of how much the resistance of a material changes with temperature. In the case of a filament lamp, the resistance of the tungsten filament increases as it heats up, causing the current to decrease.

The exponent n, also known as the "lamp index," is a measure of the non-linear relationship between the current and voltage in a filament lamp. It takes into account the fact that as the voltage increases, the temperature of the filament also increases, which in turn affects the resistance and therefore the current.

In summary, k and n are constants that are specific to each filament lamp and are used to describe its behavior in terms of current and voltage. I hope this helps clarify their meaning. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the purpose of studying "I=kV^n filament lamp hnc assignment"?

The purpose of studying "I=kV^n filament lamp hnc assignment" is to understand the relationship between current (I) and voltage (V) in a filament lamp, and how it is affected by the power law exponent (n).

2. What is the power law exponent (n) in the equation "I=kV^n"?

The power law exponent (n) represents the resistance of the filament lamp. It determines how the current changes with respect to the voltage in the lamp, and can vary depending on factors such as temperature and material composition.

3. How does the current (I) change with respect to the voltage (V) in a filament lamp?

The current (I) in a filament lamp follows a power law relationship with the voltage (V). This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, but not in a linear manner. The relationship is instead characterized by the power law exponent (n).

4. How does the filament lamp behave at different power law exponents (n)?

At different power law exponents (n), the filament lamp will exhibit different characteristics. For example, a higher n value indicates a higher resistance and a steeper increase in current with voltage, while a lower n value indicates a lower resistance and a more gradual increase in current with voltage.

5. What are some practical applications of the "I=kV^n filament lamp hnc assignment" equation?

The "I=kV^n filament lamp hnc assignment" equation is commonly used in the field of electrical engineering to analyze and design circuits involving filament lamps. It can also be applied in other fields such as physics and materials science to study the behavior of materials under different voltage and current conditions.