Optimizing Study Time: A Second Year Student's Experience in Chemical Physics

• Thread starter Howers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: I try to understand the concepts and then I move on.In summary, this student says that he rarely studies in the sense of memorizing formulas or anything like that, instead he tries to understand the concepts and then moves on.
Howers
I'm a second year student in chemical physics, at the University of Toronto, and I study roughly 25 hours during the weekdays and about 20 hours on the week ends. I go to class but can't ever pay attention because I can't learn math on the board.

This disturbs me, because my school suggests I should spend 2-3 hours per hour of lecture, and says typical physical science students spend 10 hours for the week and 24 hours during the weekdays.

I never have free time, and I'm always at my desk. I read all my textbooks, and seldom glance over lecture notes. I try a bunch of questions from the books too. Does that just make me a slow learner?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everyone learns on its own tempo. I too am considered a "slow" learner but eventually I understand the course better than the "faster" guys. It just depends on how well you want to master the course. When I study a course, I just want to understand everything in the course. Basically I do that because I can't remember things I don't understand. For example, I cannot remember and reproduce a mathematical proof if I don't fully understand it. Other people would just skip it or memorize it and I think that does the difference between me and them.
I have the same thing in classes as you do. Often, I don't understand anything (or at least not much) during class, but when I'm studying it at my own desk, on my own tempo and while taking my time, it always becomes very clear. You shouldn't worry about that, I think almost everyone has it.
Also, what the university says doesn't apply to anyone. You should just follow your own way. As you're in second year, you must know by now if your method works. If it does and you feel fine with it, don't worry about what other people do or say.

I hope this helps and reassures you.

I, too, had to put in hours and hours doing my homework when I was in school. It seemed I had to study much more than other students...it amazed me that some of them could get away with so little study time. But like the previous poster, I often understood the material far better then they did.

I couldn't learn much in class either. Going to class was a waste of time except it did let me know what I should be studying outside of class time.

I had essentially no social life until I graduated.

Well there are always people who study so much while there are people who don't. I hardly study and I am 2nd year student at university of waterloo. I just cram hard for the exam. Though I wish I study as much as you because I end up not understanding everything because I don't study enough.

I don't study at all.

I'm sure there are many threads on this topic that you can find if you search the forum. To agree with some other posts, there are always people who study more and who study less. The important thing is to strike a good balance between your studies and social activities: afterall, university isn't all about studying and getting perfect grades!

Too much, in that I rarely get enough sleep. Not enough, in that I rarely master things to the degree I'd like.

I suppose I'll finally strike the balance I want when I retire and can study things according to whatever timetable I find comfortable instead of always worrying about exams and project deadlines? :yuck:

But for some things, it really is just easy enough (for someone used to surviving upper-division physics & math) that the studying required approaches zero.

Hydrargyrum said:
I don't study at all.

May know that particular field in which you are not studying 'at all'?

Sure. I don't study for Math, science, english, history, or any other classes

Hydrargyrum said:

I don't see how you can succeed without studying. Especially if you are in college/university.

Obviously there are some subjects where you don't need to 'study'. (Example:Let's take math. If you manage to understand the concepts and all, you pretty don't need to study. Math is practical, not by-heart stuff...)

However you may want memorize some formulas...

Anyhow, studying is important.

P.S.: Unless you've finished university/college or w/e, it's reasonable that you are not studying...^.^

I think I have eidetic memory, what some people call photographic memory, because I just remember stuff without trying to

I think to a large extent people here are talking about studying in the genreal sense of doing school work outside of the class room. currently in that sense I'm pulling 8 hour days 5 days a week sunday through thursday.

I rarely study in the sense of readings, however at this stage in the game I have to pull a 30-40 hour week in terms of just getting my homework in.

if your still in lower level stuff that doesn't require homework, or only has it as 20% of the grade or so its entirely possible that you can not study and do pretty well. later on as the homework edges to 50% of the grade or more and each assignment extends to 2,4,20 hours you'll have to work more or not do so well.

Hydrargyrum said:
I think I have eidetic memory, what some people call photographic memory, because I just remember stuff without trying to

Interesting. Still, revising won't cause any harm, right? :smile:

In the US we never say revising :)

I think that we also need to distinguish between different types of studying. Some people sit down at their desk in a quiet area and devote their attention to their topic. Others may intermingle studying with fun (case in point: surfing on Wikipedia) so that what they are doing may not seem like studying. I even sometimes study in class, because I find it easier to study when I can't possibly be doing something else I want to do.

Certainly, different people need to study for different lengths of time. Dare I say some are just more lucky than others (Hydrargyrum for example)? However, I echo what cristo wrote, that no matter what a healthy balance needs to be struck between academia and social life.

Hydrargyrum said:
I don't study at all.

Hydrargyrum said:

Hydrargyrum said:

Hydrargyrum,

I am not normally provocative, but, I would like to point out an observation.

I've looked through your comment history and have yet to find a single post which demonstrates your intelligence, skill or facts that you've remembered that are pertinent to solving advanced physics problems or the other subjects discussed in this forum.

Maybe you are intelligent... Hey, it's possible. I tend to disregard how "intelligent" you feel you are - you have yet to demonstrate the depth of your intelligence or any achievements that you have racked up in your "lack of studying".

Did you win a national math competition without ever studying? Did you win the Intel Science Fair? Did you write a new theory on the nature of intertia?

I once believed as you do, even some of the same nonsense came out of my mouth. I assure you of two things:

1 - There is no such thing as a "natural genius". You cannot give me one example from history of any great author of antiquity who was not absolutely consumed by their study. Similarly, you cannot furnish me with a single example of a modern day genius who is not a prolific reader and consumed by their passions.

There is a direct correlation between intelligence and one's approach to problem solving (of any sort) - intelligence is not a fixed quantity.

2 - The view that intelligence is a fixed quantity and some people "simply don't need to study" is a pernicious point of view. There is a direct correlation to the experts that I know in the field of physics and the amount they study. Some of my collegues study to the point that I do not know when they have time for their families or their lives - but I guarantee that they can solve many problems that I struggle with.

If you don't want to study, I will not try to convince you; however, I reiterate that you are absolutely deceived if you think that anyone get intelligence as a free ride.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070207090949.htm

To Howers,

The more you study now, the less you will have to study when it matters.

I suggest that you put in 40+ hours a week studying. Make it fun. Learn to enjoy working out problems, tackling new problems and gain an appreciation for the structure and the depth of the problems. If you make them your friend, they will remain your friend for life.

Also, read A People's History of Science by Clifford Conner.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I study pretty much every day for at least several hours, but I am always doing it with friends so it never actually feels like work even though I do actually get stuff done (albeit at a slower pace). If I did it alone I'd probably get it done quicker but its not as much fun that way. Plus, studying physics doesn't actually feel like studying to me anyways. Its too much fun.

A word of warning: as some posters have pointed out, a balance needs to be struck between school and life. I will also point out that if you are used to allotting a leisurely 40 hours per work for undergraduate studying, you will be mauled if you go to grad school. You need to study hard, but you also need to study smart.

I agree with zhentil: Its not the amouth of study, it is the quality.

Also one needs to find their own rutine how to study. Some works better in small groups discussing the material and solvning stuff toghter. Others just sit by themself all the time.

One of my best advices are to read through some of the material before the lecture, so you are prepared and you know a bit what is hard for you about that perticular chapter.

And I study (including lectures) approx 50h each week.

Is that 50h per week for undergrad or grad studies?

Undergrad, I also take more courses than I have to. I take like 40-45 credits each semster. Full time studies are 30creds/ semster.

the number of work devote to academic can be computed with the following formula

24*7 - 5 * 7
= (24-5)*7 by distributivity
= {24 + (-5)}*7 by invertibility
= 19 * 7 by closure of number field
= 133 by usual multiplication defined on the number

I am not joking about this number... If you don't believe that, finish your master in one year

leon1127, you work for satan so it makes sense you should put in the hours. (-:

ok123jump said:
Hydrargyrum,

I am not normally provocative, but, I would like to point out an observation.

I've looked through your comment history and have yet to find a single post which demonstrates your intelligence, skill or facts that you've remembered that are pertinent to solving advanced physics problems or the other subjects discussed in this forum.

Maybe you are intelligent... Hey, it's possible. I tend to disregard how "intelligent" you feel you are - you have yet to demonstrate the depth of your intelligence or any achievements that you have racked up in your "lack of studying".

Did you win a national math competition without ever studying? Did you win the Intel Science Fair? Did you write a new theory on the nature of intertia?

I once believed as you do, even some of the same nonsense came out of my mouth. I assure you of two things:

1 - There is no such thing as a "natural genius". You cannot give me one example from history of any great author of antiquity who was not absolutely consumed by their study. Similarly, you cannot furnish me with a single example of a modern day genius who is not a prolific reader and consumed by their passions.

There is a direct correlation between intelligence and one's approach to problem solving (of any sort) - intelligence is not a fixed quantity.

2 - The view that intelligence is a fixed quantity and some people "simply don't need to study" is a pernicious point of view. There is a direct correlation to the experts that I know in the field of physics and the amount they study. Some of my collegues study to the point that I do not know when they have time for their families or their lives - but I guarantee that they can solve many problems that I struggle with.

If you don't want to study, I will not try to convince you; however, I reiterate that you are absolutely deceived if you think that anyone get intelligence as a free ride.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070207090949.htm

To Howers,

The more you study now, the less you will have to study when it matters.

I suggest that you put in 40+ hours a week studying. Make it fun. Learn to enjoy working out problems, tackling new problems and gain an appreciation for the structure and the depth of the problems. If you make them your friend, they will remain your friend for life.

Also, read A People's History of Science by Clifford Conner.

Hope that helps.

I only said I don't study. I didn't say I'm the next Isaac Newton. And I don't think I'm the smartest person here; in fact, I think I'm the dumbest. Besides, I'm sure you didn't study in high school either.

My Physics study time dedication

I usually spend about 15 hours/week studying for my Physics with Calculus 1 course and perhaps about 70% of that total time is dedicated to solving end of chapter homework problems.

There are also often situations like this week.

Three midterms. Since every professor I have thinks their class must be the main one I'm taking, none of them bothered to lighten up on the homework this week. Sorted by class, the assignments came to roughly: report + quiz + 2 x homework assignment; homework assignment over stuff that wasn't adequately covered but will be tossed on the midterm; 2 x homework assignment; research essay + presentation.

I study when and if my professors *let* me study. When this magically happens, I'm usually too exhausted. Undergrad life has become a huge mess of trying to absorb enough to stay ahead of other students that are also trying to absorb enough to pass the exams, with the average test scores showing that: none of us really have a bloody clue but are decent at faking it, and instructors have no clue what material they've successfully communicated to the students.

Yay!

malawi_glenn said:
Undergrad, I also take more courses than I have to. I take like 40-45 credits each semster. Full time studies are 30creds/ semster.

how fast did you finish your undergraduate degree?

Iam not finished...

Asphodel said:
I study when and if my professors *let* me study. When this magically happens, I'm usually too exhausted. Undergrad life has become a huge mess of trying to absorb enough to stay ahead of other students that are also trying to absorb enough to pass the exams, with the average test scores showing that: none of us really have a bloody clue but are decent at faking it, and instructors have no clue what material they've successfully communicated to the students.

Yay!

LOL! Sounds like my college experience...

Hydrargyrum said:
I only said I don't study. I didn't say I'm the next Isaac Newton. And I don't think I'm the smartest person here; in fact, I think I'm the dumbest. Besides, I'm sure you didn't study in high school either.

Why settle for less than being the next Newton?

I didn't attend much high school - I went to college early; however, when I was there, I studied at my own pace. I was quite the fan of reading my entire textbook then sleeping through most of the lectures. Needless to say, I didn't make many friends with the staff.

However, I suggest that you study your math and physics intently - go beyond the class if they are boring you. I think that these high school classes are good for one thing only, knowing where the pace of the slowest kid is - that way you can blaze ahead.

malawi_glenn said:
Iam not finished...

then by how much do you intend to finsih ealier by cramping your credits?

Oerg said:
then by how much do you intend to finsih ealier by cramping your credits?

since I have swiched university and program, I'll be finished 1year after my plans ;)

ok123jump said:
Why settle for less than being the next Newton?

I didn't attend much high school - I went to college early; however, when I was there, I studied at my own pace. I was quite the fan of reading my entire textbook then sleeping through most of the lectures. Needless to say, I didn't make many friends with the staff.

However, I suggest that you study your math and physics intently - go beyond the class if they are boring you. I think that these high school classes are good for one thing only, knowing where the pace of the slowest kid is - that way you can blaze ahead.

I do go beyond my classes. I'm teaching myself calculus and it's pretty easily sometimes, much easier than algebra. And the Newton part, I know no one is going smarter than him or Joseph Lagrange, so there's no point in trying to be.

I have always wondered something, how is it that people like Einstein, Max Planck, and all those other great scientists generally absorbed the material so well. Did they really do so many questions or did these guys just fully understand and master the concepts somehow.

The reason I ask is that I have heard this from many Professors and I sometimes tend to believe this. If you constantly keep doing questions, all you will be learning is how to do those specific types of questions, but will not be able to apply your "knowledge" to other question forms.

In response to BioCore:

Guys like that tend to develop larger than life persona's and history's and one hear stories about them never doing work and such but I'm sure they worked extroardinarily hard and were a little lucky. However, I think a big part of people like that as well is that they LOVED their field and couldn't get enough of it so even though they may not have been "studying" they were often increasing their understanding (einstein used to, apparently, read maxwell's original work "for fun").

As for me I never studied in high school and in undergrad I worked maybe 5-10 hours a week and went to maybe 30% of my classes (I had some crap teachers and classes were so early). And my grades weren't great but they were enough to get me into grad school. I haven't started my masters yet but I imagine I will study a fair bit more since I will be confined to a kind of 9-5 environment with TAing and such. (and mandatory classes). I also, however, love learning about physics and math in my free-time, I just hate in undergrad classes where you really don't LEARN about a field of physics you just understand the 3 to 4 problems that the prof did on the board and regurgitate them come final. (i.e. after taking E&M I didn't feel like I understood a thing about it and had absolutely no physical intuition for it but I could solve for the electric field due to a cylinder, a ring, a sphere etc. like nobodies business).

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure teaching yourself calculus counts as "studying".

Also, calculus is easier than algebra? You must not have a very rigorous calc book...