Calculus Question about my work (I already did it, just want a double check it)

D=##14 m, ##\rho=##1000 kg/m^3, and ##g=##9.8 m/s^2. Substituting and evaluating,$$W=1000~kg/m^3~(9.8~m/s^2)~\frac{\pi (14~m)^2}{8}(4~m)^2=1.18802\times 10^7~J$$In summary, the amount of work required to pump all the water over the side of a circular swimming pool with a diameter of 14 m, side height of 4 m, and water depth of 3.5 m is 1.2×107 J.
the7joker7
A circular swimming pool has a diameter of 14 m, the sides are 4 m high, and the depth of the water is 3.5 m. How much work (in Joules) is required to pump all of the water over the side? (The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 ` m/s^2 ` and the density of water is 1000 ` "kg"/"m"^3 `.)

W = 9800(integralof)(153.94x)dx from 0.5 to 4

9800 = 1000*9.8 for density*gravity

153.94 = pi(7^2) to give the area of each slice of water

x notates how deep the water is in the pool at that particular point.

I get

11880168.24 joules

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the same answer. For whatever it's worth, use a reasonable number of significant figures in the future. In this case W = 1.2×107 J would have been sufficient. For completeness, I show the intermediate steps leading to the answer.
$$dW = dm~g~y=(\rho A dy)~g~y~\implies~W=\rho g \frac{\pi D^2}{4}\int_{y_i}^{y_f} y~dy=\rho g \frac{\pi D^2}{8}\left(y_{\!f}^2-y_{\!i}^2\right)$$where ##y_{i}=##0.5 m and ##y_{f}=##4.0 m

Likes Delta2

1. What is the purpose of using calculus in scientific research?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change, and it provides scientists with tools for analyzing and understanding the behavior of complex systems. It is used to model and predict various natural phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay, which are essential for scientific research.

2. How does calculus relate to other branches of mathematics?

Calculus is closely related to other branches of mathematics such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It builds upon the concepts of these branches and provides a powerful framework for solving problems involving rates of change, optimization, and integration.

3. What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes, while integral calculus focuses on finding areas and volumes of complex shapes.

4. What are some real-world applications of calculus?

Calculus has many practical applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to analyze and optimize systems such as rocket trajectories, bridge designs, stock market trends, and population growth.

5. Can you briefly explain the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the two main branches of calculus, differential and integral, are inverses of each other. This means that differentiation and integration are two sides of the same coin, and they can be used to solve a wide range of problems in mathematics and science.