Why Carbonated Drinks are Not Recommended for Physical Activity

• Thread starter jaredmt
  • Start date
In summary, carbonated drinks are not recommended for people doing physical activity because they can dehydrate the user. However, there is still some disagreement about this theory.
jaredmt
i know that carbonated drinks are not recommended for people doing physical activity. what was the scientific reason?

i thought it had something to do with the carbon sticking to the blood cells and preventing the hydrogen/oxygen from getting to the blood cells and this dehydrates u. but I am not sure if that was a good explanation or not

Chemistry news on Phys.org
jaredmt said:
i know that carbonated drinks are not recommended for people doing physical activity. what was the scientific reason?

i thought it had something to do with the carbon sticking to the blood cells and preventing the hydrogen/oxygen from getting to the blood cells and this dehydrates u. but I am not sure if that was a good explanation or not

A lot of carbonated drinks get their "kick" by using phosphoric acid. Phosphoric anions can form salts with calcium that are not absorbed by the body. Higher incidences of bone fractures have been seen in people who consume higher amounts of carbonated beverages.

A very simplistic way of looking at it would be like this: Cola intake-----> phosphoric anion soaks up calcium ions--------> you excrete the calcium phosphoric salt out of your urine-----> body senses low levels of calcium so it releases more calcium from the hydroxy apatite in your bones leading to lower bone density.

Again, not all doctors and scientists agree on this yet.

yea that's why u shouldn't drink a "diet' carbonated drinks for having high phosphorous..

When I drink carbonated drinks before having my breakfast in the mornings I get a bad pain on my lower stomach and it usually lasts about 5 hours. Anyone know what that's all about? I had my appendix removed about 5 years ago so that might have something to do with it.

o ok so it is kind of like a buffer titration in your body?
the H2PO4 mixes with Ca and becomes Ca2PO4? just wondering cus we just learned about buffers in my chem II class a week or 2 ago

1. Why are carbonated drinks not recommended for physical activity?

Carbonated drinks are not recommended for physical activity because they contain high amounts of sugar and empty calories. These drinks can lead to dehydration and may also cause stomach discomfort during intense exercise.

2. Can carbonated drinks affect my performance during physical activity?

Yes, carbonated drinks can affect your performance during physical activity. The high sugar content can cause a temporary energy boost, but this is quickly followed by a crash, leaving you feeling fatigued and unable to perform at your best.

3. Are there any health risks associated with drinking carbonated drinks during physical activity?

Yes, there are several health risks associated with drinking carbonated drinks during physical activity. These include increased risk of tooth decay, obesity, and type 2 diabetes due to the high sugar content. The carbonation can also lead to bloating and discomfort.

4. Are there any alternatives to carbonated drinks for hydration during physical activity?

Yes, there are plenty of alternatives to carbonated drinks for hydration during physical activity. Water is always the best option for staying hydrated, but sports drinks or coconut water can also provide electrolytes and carbohydrates for energy. Some people also find that diluted fruit juice or herbal tea can be refreshing during physical activity.

5. Is it okay to drink carbonated drinks after physical activity?

It is generally not recommended to drink carbonated drinks after physical activity. These drinks can cause bloating and discomfort, which can be especially uncomfortable after a workout. It is important to replenish lost fluids and electrolytes with water or a sports drink instead.