Looking for an equation to find resulting pressure

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the equation for finding resulting pressure is P = F/A, where P is the resulting pressure, F is the force applied, and A is the area over which the force is applied. The force and area can be determined by measuring the magnitude of the force and the surface area over which the force is applied. The unit for force is typically Newtons (N) and the unit for area is typically square meters (m^2). The equation for resulting pressure can be used for any type of force as long as the units for force and area are consistent. In the SI system, the unit for pressure is Pascal (Pa), which is equivalent to N/m^2. It can also be applied to fluids, with the force
TSN79
Picture a pipe reduction from a diameter A down to B. I'm looking for an equation that can tell me the resulting pressure and velocity out of B from input data at point A such as flow and pressure. I've would really appreciate it :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bernoulli equation.

If you want to get more detailed with the pressure losses, you'll need to have a source for resistance coefficients of reducers, etc...

I understand your need for an equation to determine the resulting pressure and velocity at point B in a pipe reduction scenario. The equation you are looking for is known as the Bernoulli's equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid at different points within a system. In this case, the equation can be applied to the points A and B in the pipe reduction.

The Bernoulli's equation is given by P1 + 1/2ρv1^2 + ρgh1 = P2 + 1/2ρv2^2 + ρgh2, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity, and h is the elevation at points 1 and 2 respectively.

To apply this equation to your scenario, you will need to know the pressure and flow rate at point A, as well as the diameter of the pipe at points A and B. By rearranging the equation, you can solve for the pressure and velocity at point B.

However, it is important to note that the Bernoulli's equation assumes that there is no energy loss in the system, which may not be the case in real-world scenarios. Other factors such as friction, turbulence, and viscosity may affect the resulting pressure and velocity at point B. Therefore, it is recommended to use this equation as a starting point and consider other factors that may impact the final results.

I hope this helps and I wish you success in your research. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out.

1. What is the equation for finding resulting pressure?

The equation for finding resulting pressure is P = F/A, where P is the resulting pressure, F is the force applied, and A is the area over which the force is applied.

2. How do I determine the force and area in the equation for resulting pressure?

The force and area can be determined by measuring the magnitude of the force and the surface area over which the force is applied. The unit for force is typically Newtons (N) and the unit for area is typically square meters (m^2).

3. Can the equation for resulting pressure be used for any type of force?

Yes, the equation for resulting pressure can be used for any type of force as long as the units for force and area are consistent. This includes forces such as weight, tension, and compression.

4. Is there a specific unit for resulting pressure?

The unit for resulting pressure depends on the units used for force and area. In the SI system, the unit for pressure is Pascal (Pa), which is equivalent to N/m^2.

5. Can the equation for resulting pressure be applied to fluids?

Yes, the equation for resulting pressure can be applied to fluids as well. In this case, the force would be the weight of the fluid and the area would be the surface area of the container holding the fluid.