Books on Analysis and Linear Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Introduction to Calculus & Analysis - Volume 1" by Richard Courant and the search for a good book on Linear Algebra. The speaker recommends Courant's book, mentioning its excellence but also noting a potential weakness in its presentation of the fundamental theorem of calculus. They also suggest Shilov's "Linear Algebra Done Right" as a good book for a first course in abstract linear algebra, though it may be too advanced for someone with no prior exposure to algebraic concepts.
JG89
I just bought "Introduction to Calculus & Analysis - Volume 1" by Richard Courant. I am also looking for a good book on Linear Algebra.

1) Is the Courant book (I ordered it from the internet so I didn't get it yet) good?

2) What good books on Linear Algebra are there?

Physics news on Phys.org
This should be moved to the Science Books Review sections. In any case, Courant is excellent. I have yet to find an introductory book at its level. I have one an only one complaint about Courant: he presents a "weak" version of the fundamental theorem of calculus, only considering continuous integrands. I think this is due to the unavailability of the mean value theorem of differential calculus at the time he presents the theorem (he develops the integral calculus before differentiation), which is usually used to prove the stronger version. For linear algebra, have a look at Shilov.

'Linear Algebra Done Right' by Sheldon Axler is a good book for a first course in abstract linear algebra.

Is the Linear Algebra book by Shilov meant for first year undergraduate? Or does it require prior knowledge of linear algebra?

It's hard for me to say. My class (Advanced Linear Algebra 1) uses Friedberg, which I find inferior to Shilov. It's difficult to jump head first into Shilov's book without any prior exposure to some concepts from algebra. Are you a HS student? Have you read through university math literature before?

I just finished HS. I'm currently working through Introduction to Calculus and Analysis by Courant.

Then I suppose Shilov is a bit too advanced. It's inexpensive though, so you, if you want to try it, go for it.

1. What is the difference between analysis and linear algebra?

Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and properties of functions. Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations. While analysis focuses on the properties of functions, linear algebra focuses on the properties of vectors and matrices.

2. How are analysis and linear algebra used in real life?

Analysis and linear algebra have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. For example, analysis is used in predicting the motion of objects, while linear algebra is used in data analysis and machine learning algorithms.

3. What are some important concepts in books on analysis and linear algebra?

Some important concepts in books on analysis and linear algebra include limits, derivatives, integrals, vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors. These concepts form the foundation for understanding more complex topics in these fields.

4. Can I learn analysis and linear algebra without a strong background in mathematics?

Having a strong foundation in mathematics is important for understanding analysis and linear algebra. However, with dedication and practice, it is possible to learn these subjects without a strong background. It is recommended to start with basic algebra and calculus before diving into analysis and linear algebra.

5. What are some recommended books on analysis and linear algebra?

Some popular and highly recommended books on analysis and linear algebra include "Introduction to Analysis" by Maxwell Rosenlicht, "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole, and "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler. These books cover the fundamentals of both subjects and provide clear explanations and examples for readers.