Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Graduate Programs

In summary: University of Pennsylvania, New York UniversityThe three schools you mentioned offer M.E degrees with concentrations in engineering physics, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering.
NBAJam100
Hey guys, i just have a few quick questions about the above topic.

1st off, i am in currently a junior earning my applied physics degree with my concentration in engineering (engineering physics i guess you could say). As time went on i realized i was interested in mechanical/ aerospace engineering. So:

1.) Before i get concerned about aero, should i focus on getting an M.E masters? It seems to me that aerospace is more in depth M.E so without a M.E undergrad degree, jumping into aerospace might leave many gaps. I am hoping I am wrong there, because aerospace engineering is something i am really interested in.

2.) What are some good grad schools for M.E in the north east, specifically, Pa/Nj/Ny area?

3.) As an applied physics student applying to a masters engineering program, what are some things i could do to make myself stand out and appeal to the engineering crowd more?

Thanks for the input everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know waht branch of areospace are you into...

Navigation and control?
Structures?
Materials?
Aeronautics?
Propulsion?

Be sure you know a little bit about what they do before trying to make a choice of colleges.

Artus said:
You need to know waht branch of areospace are you into...

Navigation and control?
Structures?
Materials?
Aeronautics?
Propulsion?

Be sure you know a little bit about what they do before trying to make a choice of colleges.

Yeah, propulsion is my main interest, but i was more curious as to whether or not my background in applied physics is good for going straight into aerospace, or would i have to go through an M.E program first

Be sure your background is good. You can focus on plasma physics and take undergrad courses on fluid physics as a preparation. It's a start I think.

Aerospace engineering is, like most of engineering, applied Newtonian mechanics. Make sure you truly understand your fundamentals. Fill your technical electives with classes from mathematics (good for any discipline), mechanical engineering (thermodynamics and aerodynamics) and maybe even electrical engineering (control theory). If you can take an upper undergrad/lower-level graduate course in general relativity, do so. Quantum mechanics is generally holds much less important in aerospace engineering than it does in physics.

anyone know of any good ME/AE programs where MS students are likely to get funding for their thesis? My research interests are in CFD, heat transfer, and propulsion

Virginia Tech

1. What is the difference between mechanical and aerospace engineering?

Mechanical engineering deals with the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems such as engines, machines, and tools. Aerospace engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the design, development, and testing of aircraft and spacecraft. While there is some overlap between the two fields, aerospace engineering is more specific to the aerospace industry.

2. What are the job prospects for graduates with a degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering?

Both mechanical and aerospace engineering are in high demand industries, with a growing need for engineers in fields such as renewable energy, transportation, and defense. Graduates with a degree in either field can expect to find job opportunities in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing.

3. What types of courses are typically included in a mechanical or aerospace engineering graduate program?

Graduate programs in mechanical or aerospace engineering typically include advanced courses in subjects such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, materials science, and control systems. These programs also often include research opportunities and thesis or capstone projects.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a graduate program in mechanical or aerospace engineering?

The length of a graduate program in mechanical or aerospace engineering can vary depending on the specific program and whether a student attends full-time or part-time. On average, these programs take 2-3 years to complete for full-time students.

5. Are there any specific skills or prerequisites needed for a graduate program in mechanical or aerospace engineering?

Most graduate programs in mechanical or aerospace engineering require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or physics. Additionally, strong mathematical and analytical skills are important for success in these programs. Some programs may also require applicants to have prior research experience or specific coursework in areas such as mechanics and materials.