What means binding in equilibrium ?

In summary, "binding in equilibrium" refers to equations that have an equal sign and are considered to be balanced, while "slack" refers to inequations that have a less than or equal to sign and are considered to be unbalanced. This is commonly used in the context of operations research or linear programming, where slack variables can be introduced to turn slack inequations into binding equations.
Schreiber
what means "binding in equilibrium" ?

hi there,
im a german student and I've come across a phrase that is:
(2) and (5) are binding in equilibrium, and (3) and (4) are slack.

2,3,4,5 are given equations, but
can anyone explain that to me, so i can, without any knowloedge of the special mathematic vocabulary in english, translate it myself?
i know what an equilibrium is, but the rest i dont, specially not the context.

PLEASE help!
THX

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Schreiber! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Schreiber said:
hi there,
im a german student and I've come across a phrase that is:
(2) and (5) are binding in equilibrium, and (3) and (4) are slack.

2,3,4,5 are given equations, but
can anyone explain that to me, so i can, without any knowloedge of the special mathematic vocabulary in english, translate it myself?
i know what an equilibrium is, but the rest i dont, specially not the context.

PLEASE help!
THX

hmm :rolleyes: … this looks as if it comes from OR, or linear programming.

I think the difference is between binding constraints (or equations) and slack constraints (or inequations) …

an equation with = is binding, but if it has < or ≤, it is slack …

and a slack (in)equation can be turned into a binding equation by inserting a "slack variable" (which personally I'd call a "dummy variable") …

for example, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slack_variable
By introducing the slack variable y ≥ 0, the inequality Ax ≤ b can be converted to the equation Ax + y = b
… where (I think :redface:) Ax ≤ b is slack but Ax + y = b is binding.

see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_programming#Augmented_form_.28slack_form.29

1. What is binding in equilibrium?

Binding in equilibrium refers to the interaction between molecules or particles that results in the formation of stable complexes. This occurs when the rate of binding between two molecules is equal to the rate of dissociation, resulting in a state of equilibrium.

2. How does binding in equilibrium impact biological processes?

Binding in equilibrium plays a crucial role in many biological processes, such as enzyme-substrate interactions, protein-protein interactions, and receptor-ligand interactions. It allows for the regulation and coordination of these processes, ensuring that they occur at the appropriate time and in the right amounts.

3. What factors influence binding in equilibrium?

The strength of binding in equilibrium is influenced by several factors, including the affinity between the binding partners, the concentration of the binding partners, and the presence of other molecules that may compete for binding sites.

4. Can binding in equilibrium be disrupted?

Yes, binding in equilibrium can be disrupted by changes in the environment, such as changes in temperature, pH, or the presence of inhibitors. These changes can alter the affinity between binding partners and shift the equilibrium towards dissociation.

5. How is binding in equilibrium studied?

Binding in equilibrium can be studied using various techniques, including spectroscopy, chromatography, and kinetic assays. These methods allow scientists to measure the rate of binding and dissociation between molecules and determine the strength of binding in equilibrium.