Finding speed of sound in an object

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the speed of sound in a metal bar. The question is solved by finding the amount of time it takes each sound to travel the total distance of 4.17m. However, the approach is incorrect, as the speed of sound in metal is actually faster than in air. The correct answer is 221.8m/s.
kathyt.25

Homework Statement

"A hammer taps on the end of a 4.17 m long metal bar at room temperature. A microphone at the other end of the bar picks up two pulses of sound, one that travels through the metal and one that travels through the air. The pulses are separated in time by 6.64 ms. What is the speed of sound in this metal?(the speed of sound in air is 343 m/s)"

Homework Equations

v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried approaching this question by finding the amount of time it takes each sound to travel the total distance, 4.17m.
v(air) = d /t
t = d/v = 4.17 / 343 = 0.01216s
v(metal) = d/t = 4.17 / (0.006640 + 0.01216) = 221.8m/s

Still not getting the right answer though...

Physics news on Phys.org
Would sound travel faster through air or through metal?

diazona said:
Would sound travel faster through air or through metal?

Yeah, I just realized my mistake after I posted the question. I couldn't figure out how to delete a post.

Thanks, though!

1. How do you find the speed of sound in an object?

The speed of sound in an object can be found by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes for the sound to travel through the object. This can be done using a formula: speed = distance / time.

2. What factors affect the speed of sound in an object?

The speed of sound in an object can be affected by several factors such as the density, elasticity, and temperature of the object. The speed also varies depending on the medium through which the sound is traveling.

3. Can the speed of sound in an object change?

Yes, the speed of sound in an object can change if the factors that affect it, such as density or temperature, change. For example, the speed of sound in air increases as the temperature increases.

4. How is the speed of sound in an object measured?

The speed of sound in an object can be measured using various techniques such as time-of-flight measurements, resonance methods, and Doppler effect measurements. These techniques involve measuring the time it takes for the sound to travel through the object and calculating its speed using the distance traveled.

5. Why is it important to know the speed of sound in an object?

Knowing the speed of sound in an object is important for various scientific and practical applications. It can help in understanding the properties of the object, designing efficient machinery, and predicting the behavior of sound waves in different media.