Grad school in Materials Science help/advice.

In summary, a person with a physics background is entering a graduate program for materials science and engineering and is seeking advice. Another person suggests looking into papers by Flory, particularly in the field of polymer chemistry/engineering, for those starting out in materials science research. The first person thanks them for the advice and mentions their focus will likely be on superconductivity.
f1b1o2
Hello all,
My background is in physics, and I'm entering a graduate program for materials science and engineering this fall. I was wondering if anyone had any generic or specific advice before starting. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Im not really sure what your exact research area will involve but if its material science and has anything to do with polymer chemistry/engineering, and you are just starting out without a strong background (but obviously one where scientific ideas will come quickly since you studied physics), Id go back and dig up all the papers by Flory you can find. He obviously published a lot but I recall about 3 or 4 being particularly useful for anyone setting out to do research in materials science.
Sorry I don't have the specific article citations but if you have access to a large collection of journals, you'll have no problem finding him.

Thank you for the advice! It looks like I'm probably actually going into Superconductivity.

1. What are the admission requirements for grad school in Materials Science?

Admission requirements for grad school in Materials Science vary between universities, but generally include a bachelor's degree in a related field, a competitive GPA, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores. Some programs may also require specific coursework or research experience.

2. What is the job outlook for graduates with a degree in Materials Science?

The job outlook for Materials Science graduates is very positive, with a growing demand for materials scientists in industries such as manufacturing, healthcare, and renewable energy. Additionally, many graduates go on to pursue careers in research and academia.

3. What types of research opportunities are available in Materials Science graduate programs?

Materials Science graduate programs offer a wide range of research opportunities, including nanomaterials, biomaterials, energy materials, and more. Students may also have the opportunity to work with cutting-edge technologies and collaborate with industry partners.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a graduate degree in Materials Science?

The length of time to complete a graduate degree in Materials Science varies, but most programs take 2-3 years for a master's degree and 4-6 years for a PhD. Factors such as research progress and course load can affect the time it takes to complete the degree.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in a Materials Science graduate program?

Some tips for succeeding in a Materials Science graduate program include developing strong time management skills, seeking out research opportunities and collaborations, networking with professors and peers, and staying up-to-date on current developments in the field. It is also important to maintain a strong work-life balance and seek support when needed.