Where have you met your significant other?

• Thread starter MissMath
  • Start date
In summary, In summary, you people have met your boyfriend or girlfriend either at school, work, or through friends. You prefer to meet your significant other in a place where you feel comfortable and safe.

where or how have you found your bf/gf?

• Total voters
MissMath
so i wanted to know where and how you people have met your boyfriend/girlfriend and where and how you would prefer to meet yours in the future?
personally i just prefer to date only people whom i know from work , school and friends.

Physics news on Phys.org
I voted for at school/university. I was in the beginners course at a language school in Tokyo and not learning anything. I had already decided to finish out the month I had paid for and then go to a different school. One day the teacher called in sick and the management told us we could either go home, or sit in on the intermediate course. I found that I could keep up with the class and the teacher was much better. I met my wife in that class.

What do you mean by significant other?? (is this only for married people?)

I met my husband on line, on a animal rescue web page that featured a chat. After a year of conversing on line, we agreed to meet in person at a place of my choosing, the lobby of a police department. We have been married 5 years now.

In the pub of course.I didn't know there were other places.:smile:

I'm going to hold off answering this until I have time to explain it. For now, I'm going to bed.

Party:smile:

High school physics prep room. :smile:

hypatia said:
I met my husband on line.
And you just clicked?

I met my wife when I was interviewing for the job that I have now. One of my departmental colleagues-to-be was showing me around campus, and we stopped in the mail room in the administration building so he could pick up his mail. There we found my wife-to-be who was also picking up her mail, so he introduced us.

MissMath said:
so i wanted to know where and how you people have met your boyfriend/girlfriend and where and how you would prefer to meet yours in the future?
personally i just prefer to date only people whom i know from work , school and friends.

You only allow one option.

Met current gf on a dating website. Previous gf through work. Previous through friends. Previous I technically met in a diner, but still probably more aptly through friend of friends (my friend picked up her girlfriend at a diner after the bars closed and we wound up seeing each other fairly frequently through them - a case where the wingman/wingwoman wound up dating longer than the two that initially hooked up).

Similar to hypatia. I met her in a software used to download music. There was a chat in it. A year after I had made the trip from France to Argentina. I'm living with her since August of 2006.
That's my first girlfriend by the way. Without internet I wouldn't have any success.

I had dated her friend/roommate and had been out on a blind date with her sister before I met her.

turbo-1 said:
I had dated her friend/roommate and had been out on a blind date with her sister before I met her.

So you cheated on both her best friend and her sister and she was still willing to date you?

BobG said:
So you cheated on both her best friend and her sister and she was still willing to date you?
She knew that her friend and I and her sister and I didn't "click" and didn't have additional dates after the first one.

On our first date, I picked her up on my motorcycle (my only mode of transportation) and we went to the state fair. I got a flat rear tire, and she stayed with my bike for a couple of hours while I trudged around and found a place that was open on a Sunday that had tools and tube-patching supplies so I could fix the flat. When I got back to the bike and she was still there (and happy to see me) I figured she was a keeper.

I met mine at the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner for a wedding, and after the rehearsal dinner was over, we hung out all night at the hotel bar (until closing time), then spent a little while longer walking around outside the hotel and talking. So, I think it was a party and a bar and friends-of-friends. Hmm...maybe that's the trifecta to strive for. It seems to be working.

jimmysnyder said:
And you just clicked?
I confess I was a really lousy single person. No, we didn't just click, I was terrified of meeting someone on line. He really had to work on it.

We had some common interests, love of nature, being outdoors and working on vintage automobiles. I found his occupation boring, his manor of speech and conversation skills lacking. But he was persistent in his wooing, and he discovered my weakness. This man can make me laugh.

I met my love here on the forum.

hypatia said:
I confess I was a really lousy single person. No, we didn't just click, I was terrified of meeting someone on line. He really had to work on it.

We had some common interests, love of nature, being outdoors and working on vintage automobiles. I found his occupation boring, his manor of speech and conversation skills lacking. But he was persistent in his wooing, and he discovered my weakness. This man can make me laugh.

Shame jimmy couldn't make you laugh :tongue:

I'm the same as Evo coincidentally.

Evo said:
I met my love here on the forum.

please do share the story in detail :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
please do share the story in detail :smile:

She saw my picture in the member photo thread and was hooked. :smile:

Kurdt said:
She saw my picture in the member photo thread and was hooked. :smile:
I was..a guy with a cat...then three years later we actually talked in chat.

Actually, Kurdt won the "Evo needs an imaginary boyfriend for the holidays 2008" contest.

He was so good that I extended him through Valentine's Day.

Then we realized how similar we were and had so much in common.

For me, it was high school. He kept talking to me, and somehow got my AIM name, and wouldn't leave me alone. SO... I talked to him and we lost contact, so after a year we found each other on facebook, and he has been persistent this whole time, for me to date him. Well, now his wish has come true, when he comes home on leave we have a date already set up.

Ah I worked with her at mcdonalds a few years ago. She tried asking me for my number but I wouldn't give it to her... she put her number in my phone but I wouldn't call her. Finally she convinced one of the managers to give her my number and she started texting me. We ended up going out to a few movies and chilling and then finally we started dating :P.

We're kind of in a tough-situation right now things aren't going all that well but HEY it's been fun and hopefully after this tough patch things'll only get better ;)

Kurdt said:
Shame jimmy couldn't make you laugh :tongue:.
Jimmy could make a dead man laugh, but he was already taken.

Evo said:
I was..a guy with a cat...then three years later we actually talked in chat.

Actually, Kurdt won the "Evo needs an imaginary boyfriend for the holidays 2008" contest.

He was so good that I extended him through Valentine's Day.

Then we realized how similar we were and had so much in common.

Moonbear said:
I met mine at the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner for a wedding, and after the rehearsal dinner was over, we hung out all night at the hotel bar (until closing time), then spent a little while longer walking around outside the hotel and talking. So, I think it was a party and a bar and friends-of-friends. Hmm...maybe that's the trifecta to strive for. It seems to be working.
Aw, both are so romantic :biggrin:

A birthday party of a friend is where we first met. After that he asked me out as a date for another party, where he was the perfect gentleman and I found we had a lot in common. After that we went on several dates to the beach, which was very romantic :smile:

My wife and I met at a contra dance.

1. Where did you meet your significant other?

I met my significant other at a coffee shop in our college town. We were both studying for exams and struck up a conversation over our shared love for iced coffee.

2. Was it love at first sight?

No, it wasn't love at first sight. We were both attracted to each other but it took some time for us to get to know each other and develop deeper feelings.

3. Did you have any common interests when you first met?

Yes, we both loved coffee and were studying in the same field of science. We also bonded over our love for hiking and outdoor activities.

4. How long have you been together before getting married?

We were together for 5 years before getting married. We wanted to make sure our relationship was strong and that we were ready for the commitment of marriage.

5. Do you believe that where you met your significant other has an impact on your relationship?

I believe that where we met played a role in our relationship. It gave us a shared experience and common ground to build our relationship on. However, I also believe that the strength of our relationship comes from our compatibility, communication, and commitment to each other.