GRE Chemistry subject test preparation help

In summary, a physics major with a chemistry minor may take the GRE Chemistry subject test. The test is a sample test and is helpful in identifying areas where the student lacks understanding. The following books are recommended for enjoyment, study, and reference.
Saraharris38
GRE Chemistry subject test preparation help

Hello!

I am a physics major with a passion for chemistry that I might want to pursue. Unfortunately I do not have time to complete both a physics degree and a chemistry degree in the 1.5 years I have left as an undergrad. I would however like the option, as a chemistry minor, of taking the chemistry GRE's. I'll probably have taken General chem I/II, Organic Chem I/II, Physical Chemistry I/II, Quantitative analysis, and all the accompanying labs, as well as one course in chemistry computer applications or something of that nature. So My question is, can anyone suggest any other areas of chemistry (along with good textbooks) where I might lack due to my limited classroom time? I have taken all required math classes for a chem major (and then some as a physics major). Thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For General Chemistry, I reccomend Brady's book.

For Physical Chemistry, Atkins/dePaula does the job.

Quantum Chemistry? I don't know the difference between a QC course and a QM course in physics though.

It seems as though you may have taken enough classes to do well on the GRE Chemistry subject test. I took the test last November and it in no way went into any amount of detail.

I found completing the GRE sample chemistry test to be helpful, as it helped me to identify areas where I lacked understanding and/or forgot how to successfully complete. You may also find it helpful to take a look at ACS chemistry tests in general, analytical, and organic chemistry. The types of problems on the ACS tests are in the same style as the GRE. Also, the ACS tests are helpful as they will look like the qualifying tests you must take as part of most graduate chemistry programs.

That said, the following are books I recommend for enjoyment, study, and reference:

[Physical chemistry] Physical Chemistry 5th Ed., Ira N. Levine, McGraw-Hill
[Quantum chemistry] Quantum Chemistry 2nd Ed., Donald A. McQuarrie, University Science
[Inorganic chemistry] Inorganic Chemistry 3rd Ed., Gary L. Miessler, Wilson Publisher?
[Organic chemistry] Organic Chemistry 6th ed., John McMurry, Brooks-cole
[Biochemistry] Biochemistry 6th Ed., Jeremy M. Berg, W. H. Freeman

Funny, I'm a chem major with a passion for physics. Certainly going to be doing some physical chemistry in the future. Anyways, I don't even know what a GRE test is, but I can recommend some good chemistry books:

- "Modern Quantum Chemistry" by Szabo and Ostlund. It's a much more in-depth look at quantum chemistry than McQuarrie's book, it's real quantum chemistry, no introductions to quantum mechanics or anything (most introductory QC courses and books are actually mostly about about QM with a bit of QC at the end).

-"Molecular Modelling: Principles and Applications" by A. R. Leach takes a comprehensive look at computational chemistry, including quantum chemistry and molecular mechanics.

-For Biochemistry I recommend Stryer's "Biochemistry" (really good, easy-to-read book)

-For a comprehensive look at biophysical chemistry check out "Biophysical Chemistry", Cantor and Schimmel, Vols 1-3 (Freeman, New York 1980) and "Physical Biochemistry", K.E. Van Holde (Prentice Hall, 1985)

Last edited:
Ahh thank you guys so much! This is very helpful. I think I'll probably just be lacking mostly in some advanced inorganic/organic knowledge, but if the GRE test doesn't go into that much detail then I should be fine. Thanks again!

1. What topics should I focus on for the GRE Chemistry subject test?

For the GRE Chemistry subject test, it is important to have a strong foundation in general chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry. You should also review key concepts in analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, and inorganic chemistry.

2. How should I study for the GRE Chemistry subject test?

The best way to study for the GRE Chemistry subject test is to create a study schedule and stick to it. Review key concepts, practice with sample questions, and take full-length practice tests. It is also helpful to review notes and textbooks from your chemistry courses.

3. Are there any resources available to help me prepare for the GRE Chemistry subject test?

Yes, there are several resources available to help you prepare for the GRE Chemistry subject test. You can find study guides, practice tests, and review books online or at your local bookstore. You can also seek out tutoring or join a study group.

4. How important is time management on the GRE Chemistry subject test?

Time management is crucial on the GRE Chemistry subject test. With only 2 hours and 50 minutes to answer 130 multiple-choice questions, you must pace yourself and not spend too much time on any one question. It is important to practice with timed tests to improve your speed and accuracy.

5. Is it necessary to memorize equations for the GRE Chemistry subject test?

Yes, it is important to have a good understanding of key equations and how to apply them for the GRE Chemistry subject test. However, you do not need to memorize every single equation. Focus on understanding the principles behind the equations and how to use them to solve problems.