Did My Lecturer Make a Mistake in this Physics Equation?

• Thread starter chrisrock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the student is studying a basic college physics course and is having trouble with a practice problem. He looked up his lecturers online notes and found that they had made a mistake. He asks someone to check the picture and confirms that the equation is incorrect.
chrisrock
Hi guys,

I am currently studying a basic college physics course at a university in New Zealand.

The course is only going over what we were taught in college so far. I came across a practice problem and was unsure how to go about solving it. So I looked up my lecturers online notes and I believe he has made a mistake, I would like someone to confirm whether I am correct.

[PLAIN]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/84/17681455.png

I am only interested in the reaction force equation he has given, his trig manipulation seems to be the problem, someone please check the picture and confirm whether it is incorrect or correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct to me. What do you think is wrong?

i think that the reaction force equation should be N = W/(cos θ)
the trig dosn't make sense to me this way

chrisrock said:
You need to review how to find components of a vector.

Some tips: The component of a vector (in this case, W) can never be greater than the vector itself, so you would never divide by cosθ to find a component.

chrisrock said:

Remember that the normal force opposes that component of the weight so that there is [no acceleration of the object along the normal direction.

A component of the weight can never be greater in magnitude than the weight itself.

i understand what u guys are telling me but when i try to derive that equation that is what i get maybe this should be in maths not in physics. ill review my working, and MAYBE talk to the lecturer

at any rate ty for your time guys i really appreciate it

its hard to find good help at university without dishing out serious cash which i can't afford

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/U3L1e.cfm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, chris!

I will try to illuminate this further to you:

When you take the components of normal force N (and of course, there is nothing really "wrong" with that), what do these components actually MEAN??

What they mean, is quite simply, the amount of normal force along the VERTICAL and HORIZONTAL directions. Agreed?

But, if you agree to this, you must ask yourself:
Is there any non-zero ACCELERATION going on in either of these directions?

If there is such non-zero acceleration, for example in the vertical direction, then obviously, you cannot say that the net sum of forces in that direction equals 0!

Thus, it is more PRUDENT to decompose along the tangential and normal directions, because then you KNOW that the acceleration along the normal must be zero.
You thereby get a simpler system to work with!

I'll do the decomposition for you properly now:

DECOMPOSITION ALONG HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL DIRECTIONS:
a) Horizontal direction (with positive direction to the left):
[tex]N\sin(\theta)-F\cos\theta=ma_{x}(1)[/tex]
b) Vertical direction:
[tex]N\cos\theta+F\sin\theta-mg=ma_{y}(2)[/tex]
c) Relation between N and F:
[tex]F=\mu_{k}N(3)[/tex]
d) Motion restricted to tangential direction:
This means that the vector (a_x,a_y) is orthogonal on the normal vector (sin(theta), cos(theta)), so that we get the equation:
[tex]a_{x}\sin\theta+a_{y}\cos\theta=0(4)[/tex]
Now, the simplest way to solve this system of equations is to multiply (1) with sin(theta), (2) with cos(theta), and adding them together. Using (4) on the resultant right-side gives you the eqation:
[tex]N-mg\cos\theta=0(5)[/tex]
(Remember: [itex]\sin^{2}\theta+\cos^{2}\theta=1[/tex]

(5) is nothing else than Newton's second law, as decomposed in the normal direction!

Last edited:
Probably the simplest thing to do first is look at the limiting cases. Obviously, when \theta=0 the normal force should be mg and when \theta = \pi/2 the normal force should be zero. The lecturer's equation satisfies this while your own derivation does not.

ty arildno and born2bwire i get it now, and thanks to born2bwire i get my equation is incorrect. Also ty born2bwire for the simple check.

after going through the trig a hundred times i figured i was looking at the wrong triangle a simple rookie mistake. I ty legends for your time the maths works now.

Last edited:

What are some common mistakes made by lecturers?

Some common mistakes made by lecturers include incorrect information, technical errors with presentations or demonstrations, and mispronunciation of words or names.

How do lecturers typically handle their mistakes?

In most cases, lecturers will acknowledge their mistake and correct it, whether it be during the lecture or after. Some may also apologize to the audience for the error.

What should I do if I notice a mistake made by a lecturer?

If you notice a mistake made by a lecturer, you can politely bring it to their attention after the lecture. Alternatively, you can also speak to them privately about it.

Can a mistake made by a lecturer affect the accuracy of the information being presented?

Yes, a mistake made by a lecturer can affect the accuracy of the information being presented. It is important for lecturers to fact check their material and correct any errors to ensure the information given to students is correct.

What can lecturers do to prevent making mistakes?

Lecturers can prevent making mistakes by thoroughly preparing for their lectures and double-checking their material before presenting it. They can also ask for feedback from students and colleagues to catch any errors they may have missed.