Why is it a problem that gravity is so much weaker than the other forces?

In summary, the problem with gravity being weak as compared to the other forces is that it is nearly impossible to measure or detect it using traditional methods.
camel_jockey
I will write the following as if I know what I am talking about, feel free to correct me :)

Okay, so we have theorized (using general relativity) that the force of gravity is in fact a fictitious force, resulting from observing motion in a curved spacetime. It is therefore unlike the other forces, which are considered to be real in the sense that they are not illusions resulting from poor observation.

Also, gravity is purely an attractive force, and therefore also fundamentally different to the other 3 forces.

Why then do we think it uncomfortable that gravity is "10^-38 times weaker" than the strong force, or whatever the factor is (we all know it to be small)??

Is it not totally OK, since gravity isn't a force and we shouldn't be making this comparison?

Or does this stem from the desire to have gravity, whatever it may be, being mediated by some force-carrying particle such as the graviton??

I don't understand really why it is considered a problem, but I have heard people talking about it. Would be nice if someone could explain the crux of the matter to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
?? I don't have any problem with it and I surely am not "uncomfortable" with the force of gravity being so small. In fact, I fell sure I would be extremely uncomfortable if it were 10^38 times stronger!

Please give some specific examples in which it is considered a "problem".

In the sense that many theorists and QFTists have said that it is a problem - I don't know if it really is! That's the question!

In literature I came across, gravity being weak as a problem is often mentioned with relation to how hard it is to 'measure' or 'detect' gravity in experiments.

For one, the idea that a pill-size magnet overpower the gravity of a very big planet in preventing your keys from falling towards earth, goes to show what scale of bodies you need in order to experiment with gravity. Then, as other forces are much stronger, they might interfere with trying to 'measure' gravity.

My two pence.

The problem is that you can build a dimension-less constant in order of 10^38. For example, in H atom, proton and electron attract gravitationally 10^38 times weakes than electomagnetically.

The problem is that is ruins any hope to deduce that huge number from the first principles. It can't be PI, or PI^PI, or even exp(exp(PI)) or something. While all other parameters of the Standard Model are in the same range (expect neutrino masses, but there is an explanation), and even some parameters can be calculated (Koide formula - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koide_formula ) there is no hope that gravity will be ever explained that way.

1. Why does the strength of gravity matter?

The strength of gravity is important because it determines the interactions between objects in space. Without gravity, planets would not orbit around stars and galaxies would not hold together. It also affects the motion of objects on Earth, such as the way objects fall or the tides in the ocean.

2. How does the strength of gravity compare to the other forces?

The strength of gravity is much weaker compared to the other fundamental forces, such as the electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear forces. For example, the electromagnetic force is about 10^36 times stronger than gravity.

3. What is the significance of the weakness of gravity?

The weakness of gravity is significant because it makes it difficult for scientists to reconcile it with the other fundamental forces in the universe. This has led to many unanswered questions in physics, such as the unification of all forces and the search for a theory of everything.

4. How does the weakness of gravity affect our daily lives?

The weakness of gravity does not have a significant impact on our daily lives because it is only noticeable on a large scale, such as the motion of planets and galaxies. However, it does play a role in the stability of structures, such as buildings and bridges, as well as the formation of mountains and other geological features.

5. Can gravity ever become stronger?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that gravity can become stronger. In fact, many scientists believe that gravity is a constant force and cannot be altered. However, there are theories that suggest gravity may have been stronger in the early universe, but it is still a subject of ongoing research and debate.