Some interdisciplinary chemistry questions?

In summary, the speaker is seeking suggestions for extra credit projects or problems for their students, most of whom are engineers and do not see chemistry as relevant to their interests. They want the projects to be challenging but interesting, and most of their students are freshmen. The speaker also mentions a specific project idea involving a laminated alloy and challenges the students to figure out how it was made.
Dunhausen
I am devising some extra credit projects and/or problems for my students.

Very few (in fact, only one) are actually studying chemistry. The rest are mostly engineers. I was hoping to come up with some things which would let them come at chemistry from the perspective of their other interests. As is, most of them do not see it as having much relevance to them.

I feel the problems should be somewhat involved (perhaps requiring additional resources) without being innately impossible, but most importantly, interesting! The vast majority of my students are freshmen.

Anyway, if anyone would like to offer up any suggestions, I would be much obliged. :)

Majors by frequency: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Biology, Technical Communication

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Show them a picture of laminated alloy from modumetal, explain to them what the picture is but don't tell them who made it or how. Describe the process and then see if they can figure out how it was made.

If you want more info just ask.

1. What is interdisciplinary chemistry?

Interdisciplinary chemistry is a branch of chemistry that integrates principles and methods from different fields, such as biology, physics, and engineering, to solve complex scientific problems.

2. How does interdisciplinary chemistry differ from traditional chemistry?

Traditional chemistry focuses on studying the properties and interactions of chemical substances, while interdisciplinary chemistry goes beyond this to address real-world problems that require a multidisciplinary approach.

3. What are some examples of interdisciplinary chemistry research?

Examples include developing new drugs using chemical synthesis and molecular biology techniques, creating renewable energy sources by combining chemistry and engineering principles, and studying the impact of pollution on ecosystems using both chemical and biological methods.

4. How does interdisciplinary chemistry benefit society?

Interdisciplinary chemistry research can lead to the development of new technologies, materials, and treatments that can improve people's lives and address pressing global issues, such as climate change and disease.

5. What skills are needed to pursue a career in interdisciplinary chemistry?

Proficiency in chemistry is essential, but individuals also need to have a strong understanding of other disciplines, good problem-solving and critical thinking skills, and the ability to work collaboratively with others.