Calculate pH & Concentration of Acids & Bases in Solution

In summary: The volume of acid is 12.5cm3. The rest of the concentrations and volumes would come from the molality of the solution and the molarity of the acids and bases.
Jack16
Could You Help Me Out With This Question Please:

25.0 cm3 of a solution of 0.1M ethanoic acid is titrated with 0.1M sodium hydroxide.When sufficient alkali has been added to neutralise half of the acid,calculate

a)the concentration of ethanoic acid and ethanoate ions
b)the pH of the solution (Ka=1.7x10^-5 mol dm^-3)

Thanks Very Much!...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello my friend,

First find C1*V1 by multiplying each other to learn the mole number. The same must be supplied in order to achieve neutral state. Where can you determine that half of acid is titrated? Mole numbers, of course.

Then write the equation, to see how many moles of ethanoate ions along with hydrogen ions are produced. Use the equilibrium constant, with omitting some values not needed really. If you can find the unknown value, you've already found the hydrogen concentration, and thus, pH value.

You'd better to solve this question by yourself, so I decided not to give the whole answer. But I'm here for your possible questions about it, with other members.

Remember the salt formed can hydrolise.This is a buffer solution(i.e. on further adition of acid or base,it will resist change in PH).
SO use

Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:
[tex]pH=pK_a+log\frac{[A^-]}{[HA]}[/tex]

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I think that for part b there's no problem. I'm just having a hard time working out the values for concentration for part a. Would ethanoate ions mean CH3COO- or CH3COONa?The volume of acid is surely 12.5cm3?How about the rest of the concentrations and volumes, where would they come from?

Hello, ethanoate ions are [tex]CH_3COO^-[/tex] only. If you add a sodium cation at the end of it, you'll get sodium ethanoate, which is essentially the same product, since sodium ethanoate also ionizes to ethanoate anion.

1. How do I calculate the pH of an acid or base?

To calculate the pH of an acid or base in solution, you can use the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter. Another way to calculate pH is to use the concentration of hydroxide ions [OH-] and the formula pH = 14 - pOH. pH values range from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral.

2. What is the relationship between pH and concentration of acids and bases?

The pH of a solution is directly related to the concentration of hydrogen ions [H+] or hydroxide ions [OH-]. As the concentration of these ions increases, the pH decreases, making the solution more acidic. Conversely, as the concentration of these ions decreases, the pH increases, making the solution more basic.

3. How do I convert between pH and concentration?

To convert between pH and concentration, you can use the formulas mentioned in the first two questions. If you know the pH of a solution, you can calculate the concentration of hydrogen ions [H+] or hydroxide ions [OH-]. If you know the concentration of these ions, you can calculate the pH of the solution.

4. What is the difference between a strong acid/base and a weak acid/base?

A strong acid or base is one that completely dissociates in water, meaning all of its molecules break apart into ions. This results in a higher concentration of hydrogen or hydroxide ions, leading to a lower pH or higher pH respectively. A weak acid or base only partially dissociates, resulting in a lower concentration of ions and a less dramatic effect on pH.

5. How does temperature affect the pH and concentration of acids and bases?

Temperature can affect the pH and concentration of acids and bases in two ways. Firstly, it can affect the dissociation of the acid or base, meaning more or less ions are produced at different temperatures. Secondly, it can also affect the ionization constant of the acid or base, which is a measure of the strength of the acid or base. This can lead to changes in the pH and concentration of the solution.