My Terminal Velocity is Zero? (DE Question)

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem where the person is trying to calculate the terminal velocity of jumping out of an airplane. They have figured out part a) and the equation for v(t) but are stuck on part b) and c). They realize their mistake and discuss the correct way to calculate the distance using the equation v=vt.
Bazzinga
[PLAIN]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/11/60272414.png

Hey guys, I'm stuck on this question, part b)

I figured out a) and v(t) for V(0) = 0 ends up being

mg - mge-kt/m
k

(Sorry, latex was being difficult)

But then when I try to figure out the limit as t->infinity i get 0. I'm pretty sure the terminal velocity of jumping out of an airplane wouldn't be 0 :confused:

I'm hoping I just made a stupid mistake somewhere!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you're getting, I assume, is...

[tex]\frac{mg\left(1-e^{-\frac{kt}{m}}\right)}{k}[/tex]

I must say that as [itex]t\rightarrow\infty[/tex], that doesn't approach zero.

Ha, see? stupid mistake :P

Hold up, you still get 0... e^0 = 1, 1 - 1 = 0, mg0 = 0, 0/k = 0

But as t approaches infinity, you don't get e^0. You get e^(-infinity), which is 0.

Ohhh! I get it, thanks! About part c)... distance = velocity x time, so would I just multiply my equation by t? I can't seem to wrap my head around this stuff

No, x=vt only for constant v. If the v is not constant (as this v isn't), you have to integrate v with respect to t to get the distance.

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity is equal to the opposing force of air resistance.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating terminal velocity is vt = √(2mg/ρACd), where vt is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

3. Why does my terminal velocity reach zero?

If your terminal velocity reaches zero, it means that the forces acting on you are balanced and you are no longer accelerating. This can happen if you are in a state of free fall and have already reached your maximum speed, or if you are in a weightless environment with no gravity.

4. What factors can affect my terminal velocity?

The factors that can affect your terminal velocity include your mass, the force of gravity, the density of the fluid you are falling through, your cross-sectional area, and the shape of your body. These factors can change the balance of forces and alter your terminal velocity.

5. Can terminal velocity be negative?

Technically, yes, terminal velocity can be negative if the direction of motion is reversed and the object is accelerating upwards. However, in most cases, terminal velocity is considered to be positive since it refers to the maximum speed in the downward direction when falling through a fluid.