Neumann Condition on Curved Boundary using Finite Difference

In summary, to apply the Neumann condition on a curved boundary with second order accuracy, you can use higher order interpolation schemes or a staggered grid approach. It is also helpful to refer to literature on this topic for further guidance.
sashankhrao
Hi,

I am trying the solve the Poisson equation in a domain with curved boundaries using the Finite Difference Method (second order accurate). I need to apply the Neumann condition on the curved boundary. I have used bilinear interpolation to do this but this causes the resultant scheme to be only first order accurate. Could someone please tell me how one may apply the Neumann condition on a curved boundary with second order accuracy? Any links to material would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your post! I have some experience with solving the Poisson equation with curved boundaries using the Finite Difference Method, so I hope I can provide some helpful insights for your problem.

Firstly, it is important to note that applying the Neumann condition on curved boundaries can be more challenging compared to straight boundaries. This is because the normal derivative of the solution at a curved boundary is not constant, unlike at a straight boundary.

To maintain second order accuracy, you will need to use a higher order interpolation scheme instead of bilinear interpolation. This can be done by using higher order polynomials, such as quadratic or cubic, to interpolate the boundary values. These higher order interpolation schemes will give you more accurate values for the normal derivative at the boundary, thus maintaining second order accuracy in your overall solution.

Another approach is to use a staggered grid, where the boundary points are shifted by half a grid spacing. This can help improve the accuracy of the boundary values and the normal derivative. However, this approach may require some modifications to your overall finite difference scheme.

I would also recommend checking out some literature on this topic, such as "Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations" by J.W. Thomas or "Finite Difference Methods for Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations" by Randall J. LeVeque. These texts provide a detailed explanation on how to handle Neumann boundary conditions on curved boundaries with second order accuracy.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

What is the Neumann Condition on a Curved Boundary?

The Neumann Condition on a Curved Boundary is a mathematical boundary condition used in finite difference methods to solve partial differential equations on a curved boundary. It specifies the relationship between the value of the function and its derivative at the boundary point.

How is the Neumann Condition applied in Finite Difference methods?

In Finite Difference methods, the Neumann Condition is applied by replacing the derivative term in the finite difference equation with an approximation, such as a central difference or an upwind difference. This ensures that the numerical solution satisfies the boundary condition at the boundary point.

What are the benefits of using the Neumann Condition on a Curved Boundary?

Using the Neumann Condition on a Curved Boundary allows for more accurate solutions to partial differential equations on curved boundaries. It also eliminates the need for complex and computationally expensive mesh generation techniques, making it a more efficient approach for solving problems with curved boundaries.

Can the Neumann Condition be used for any type of curved boundary?

Yes, the Neumann Condition can be applied to any type of curved boundary, as long as the boundary is smooth and differentiable. This includes boundaries with complex shapes, such as circles, ellipses, and irregular curves.

Are there any limitations to using the Neumann Condition on a Curved Boundary?

One limitation of the Neumann Condition is that it assumes a continuous and smooth boundary, which may not always be the case in practical problems. In such cases, other boundary conditions or more advanced numerical methods may be needed to accurately solve the problem.