Torque from magnetic field/current

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the current needed to make a cylinder with a specific mass, radius, and length stationary on an inclined plane with a given inclination angle and a vertical magnetic field. The equation used to solve for the current is based on equating the torque generated by gravity to that of the current, taking into account the number of turns and the plane of the wire loop. The final answer is calculated using the formula: T = (145 turns)(i)(pi*(.036m)^2) X (.1T) = 2.96 Nm.
PPhilly
The figure shows a cylinder of mass 5 kg, radius 3.6 cm and length 9.2 cm with 145turns of wire wrapped around it lengthwise, so that the plane of the wire loop contains the axis of the cylinder. Assuming that the plane of the windings is parallel to the incline, what is the current (in Amps) which when flowing through the loop will make the cylinder stationary on an inclined plane of inclination 41° in the presence of a vertical magnetic field of B=0.1 T?

Ok, so I'm equating the the torque generated by gravity to that of the current. So for gravity I have:

T = (5 kg)(9.8sin(41)) X (.092m) = 2.96 Nm

for the current I have:

T = (145 turns)(i)(pi*(.036m)^2) X (.1T)

When I equate that to 2.96 and solve for i, I get i = 50.14 A, which isn't the right answer.

The only part that confused me is that the wire is wrapped lengthwise, which would mean it goes 145 times around the ends of the cylinder? I have no idea how to solve the problem if that is the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the plane of the windings should be parallel to the surface normal.

Your first torque is right almost but the radius from the pivot point is the radius from the cylinder not its length. Your second torque should read something like 145*i*0.092*(2*.036)*sin(41)*0.1, that is Area of one turn*number of turns*current*the field*sin(theta). Set the two equal since gravity is clockwise torque and the current would make counterclockwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is torque from magnetic field/current?

Torque from magnetic field/current is the twisting force exerted on an object that is placed in a magnetic field or carrying an electric current.

2. How is torque from magnetic field/current calculated?

The torque from magnetic field/current can be calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field, the current, and the length of the object perpendicular to the magnetic field. The equation for torque is τ = BILsinθ, where B is the magnetic field, I is the current, L is the length of the object, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the object.

3. What is the relationship between torque from magnetic field/current and the direction of the current?

The direction of the torque from magnetic field/current is always perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. This means that the direction of the torque can be changed by changing the direction of the current or the magnetic field.

4. How does torque from magnetic field/current affect an object?

The torque from magnetic field/current causes an object to rotate around an axis. This rotation can be either clockwise or counterclockwise, depending on the direction of the torque. The magnitude of the torque also determines the speed of the rotation.

5. In what real-world applications is torque from magnetic field/current important?

Torque from magnetic field/current is important in a variety of real-world applications, including electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in particle accelerators and MRI machines. Understanding torque from magnetic field/current is essential for designing and improving these technologies.