Calculating percent abundance for 3 isotopes

In summary, the conversation is about solving problems involving percent abundances for multiple isotopes in chemistry. The teacher has said that solving problems with 3 isotopes is required, but the student would like to be able to solve for more isotopes for future courses. The student has tried setting up the equation and searching their textbook and the internet, but has not been successful. Another person explains that in order to solve a system of simultaneous equations, there must be as many equations as unknowns, and having only two equations makes it impossible to solve for three unknowns. However, if the abundance of a third isotope is given, it is equivalent to having a third equation and the problem can be solved.
Same-same
For my chemistry class, I need to be able to calculate percent abundances for multiples isotopes, if given the mass of the isotopes and average atomic mass of the element. The percent abundance of 1 isotope may be given.

The teacher has said that calculating for a problem with 3 isotopes is all that will be required. However, if possible, I would like to be able to solve a problem with more isotopes, just for future courses.
I tried setting up the equation, and I searched my textbook, and have gotten nowhere. The teacher reccomended I search the internet, and I still have gotten nowhere.

Can anyone show me how one solves such a problem?
Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If I understand your question correctly, it can't be done the way you want it.

To solve system of simultaneous equations you need to have as many equations as unknowns (it still doesn't guarantee there will be a solution, but if there is not enough equations, you can be sure there is no unique solution). If there are less equations we call it an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underdetermined_system.

You have always two equations - one is that sum of abundances is 100%, the other one is average atomic mass.

If there are two isotopes, you have two equations and two unknowns - and solving the problem is not difficult.

If there are three isotopes you have three unknowns and two equations - and that means you can't solve it. If you are given abundance of a third isotope, that is equivalent of having a third equation.

Last edited:
Okay, that must be what we need to able to figure out
Thanks!

What is percent abundance?

Percent abundance is a measure of the relative amount or proportion of a specific isotope in a sample compared to all other isotopes of the same element.

Why is calculating percent abundance important?

Calculating percent abundance allows us to determine the most common isotopes of an element and their relative abundance, which can provide valuable information for understanding chemical reactions and properties.

How do you calculate percent abundance for 3 isotopes?

To calculate percent abundance for 3 isotopes, you will need the masses and the natural abundances of each isotope. Then, you can use the formula: percent abundance = (mass of isotope/total mass of element) x 100%. Repeat this calculation for each isotope and you will have the percent abundance for all 3 isotopes.

What is the total mass of an element?

The total mass of an element is the sum of the masses of all its isotopes. This includes the natural abundance of each isotope, as well as any artificial or man-made isotopes that may exist.

Can the percent abundance of an isotope change?

Yes, the percent abundance of an isotope can change over time due to natural processes such as radioactive decay or human activities such as nuclear reactions. However, the relative abundance of each isotope in an element will remain constant unless there is a significant change in the natural processes or human activities affecting it.