Lewis and dot structure of (NH4)2SO3, Al2(SO4)3 and Fe(ClO4)3

In summary, Lewis dot structures are used to represent the arrangement of valence electrons in molecules or ions. They can provide information about bonding and non-bonding interactions, molecular geometry, and polarity. In the Lewis dot structure of (NH4)2SO3, there are two ammonium ions and one sulfite ion, totaling 32 valence electrons. The Lewis dot structure of Al2(SO4)3 has 54 valence electrons, with contributions from aluminum, sulfur, and sulfate ions. The Lewis dot structure of Fe(ClO4)3 has a charge of +3, with a balanced charge from the iron atom and three perchlorate ions. Formal charge in Lewis dot structures is determined by subtracting the number
aankaa23

Homework Statement

I have to draw Lewis structures and Lewis dot structures of these salts

The Attempt at a Solution

I attached images of how I tried to traw Fe(ClO4)3 and (NH4)2SO3 but I can't figure anything out about Al2(SO4)3

Attachments

• (NH4)2SO3.jpg
    (NH4)2SO3.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 32,071
  • Fe(ClO4)3.jpg
    Fe(ClO4)3.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 19,793
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My structure might be wrong, but it makes sense logically.

Attachments

• al2(so4)3.png
    al2(so4)3.png
    9 KB · Views: 19,315

1. What is the Lewis dot structure of (NH4)2SO3?

The Lewis dot structure of (NH4)2SO3 consists of two ammonium ions (NH4+) and one sulfite ion (SO3^2-). The ammonium ions each have four valence electrons represented by dots around the nitrogen atom, and the sulfite ion has six valence electrons represented by dots around the sulfur atom. The overall structure has a total of 32 valence electrons.

2. How many valence electrons are in the Lewis dot structure of Al2(SO4)3?

There are 54 valence electrons in the Lewis dot structure of Al2(SO4)3. Each aluminum atom contributes three valence electrons, and each sulfur atom contributes six valence electrons. The overall structure also has a total of 12 valence electrons from the three sulfate ions, giving a total of 54 valence electrons.

3. What is the charge of the Lewis dot structure of Fe(ClO4)3?

The Lewis dot structure of Fe(ClO4)3 has a charge of +3. This is because each perchlorate ion (ClO4^-) has a charge of -1, and there are three of them in the structure. The iron atom (Fe) has a charge of +3 to balance out the overall charge.

4. How do you determine the formal charge in Lewis dot structures?

The formal charge is determined by subtracting the number of valence electrons assigned to an atom in a Lewis dot structure from the number of valence electrons the atom has in its neutral state. The formula for formal charge is: formal charge = valence electrons - (number of lone pair electrons + 1/2 * number of bonding electrons).

5. What is the purpose of drawing Lewis dot structures?

Lewis dot structures are used to represent the arrangement of valence electrons in a molecule or ion. This helps to visualize the bonding and non-bonding interactions between atoms, and can provide valuable information about the chemical properties and behavior of a substance. Lewis dot structures also help to predict molecular geometry and the polarity of molecules.