How can I create a symmetrical electromagnetic field with two cylindrical poles?

In summary, the conversation revolves around someone seeking help with making an electromagnet with two cylindrical poles, even and symmetrical magnetic field, and the ability to control polarity. The expert advises using DC power and winding the magnets in opposite directions. They also caution against attempting this alone and suggest seeking guidance from a teacher or physics club.
beatlemaniacj
Greetings. I need help making an electromagnet. I would make it out of copper coil and a rare Earth metal, undecided on that point yet. I know how to make a basic one but this one has to have two (2) cylindrical poles, that would remain vertical above each other. It cannot be a horseshoe magnet, because I want an even and symmetrical magnetic field. Even two separate magnets of different polarities would work fine for me

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know anything about electromagnets? I don't know how to help you, as this is a pretty broad question.

I have made electromagnets before this. I just need help making this exact setup. How would i control the polarity of an electromagnet is a better way to ask that. I need them also to be on the same circut if possible. And shouldi use AC or DC power.

Polarity is controlled by the direction of current. Switch the direction and the polarity switches. I don't know why you would use AC power, as that would be more for making a transformer, not an electromagnet. If you want them on the same circuit...just put them on the same circuit?

Thanks. I guess my question about the same circuit thing was how do I have the DC current going in two separate directions while still being on the same circuit.

Just wind the magnets in opposite directions.

Just be very careful beatlemaniac, clearly, you know very little about electromagnetism or electricity to be given advise over a forum like this one. Nobody around here is going to want to be liable for anything you do based on their advise. Go to a teacher, join a physics club or something, do not go at it alone at this time.

Be safe.

Thanks for the concern Gsal. I do know a lot about electromagnets and electromagnetism. I have made them before and I have made ones of different polarity. I just needed help putting them on the same circut.

1. How do I make an electromagnet?

To make an electromagnet, you will need a nail or other ferromagnetic material, insulated copper wire, a battery, and a power source. Start by wrapping the wire around the nail multiple times, leaving about 6 inches of wire on each end. Connect one end of the wire to the positive end of the battery and the other end to the negative end. This will create an electrical current in the wire, turning the nail into a temporary magnet.

2. What is the purpose of making an electromagnet?

An electromagnet can be used for a variety of purposes, such as lifting and moving metal objects, triggering electrical switches, and generating electricity. It is also commonly used in devices like speakers, motors, and generators.

3. How can I increase the strength of my electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet depends on the number of coils of wire and the amount of current flowing through it. To increase the strength, you can add more coils of wire or use a battery with a higher voltage. However, be careful not to use too much voltage as it can overheat the wire and damage the battery.

4. What materials can I use to make an electromagnet?

The most commonly used materials for making an electromagnet are iron, steel, and nickel. These materials are considered ferromagnetic, meaning they can be magnetized. However, you can also experiment with other materials to see if they have any magnetic properties.

5. Can I make a permanent electromagnet?

No, an electromagnet only produces a magnetic field when an electric current is flowing through it. As soon as the current is turned off, the magnetic field disappears, and the electromagnet returns to its original state. To create a permanent magnet, you would need to use a different material and a different method, such as rubbing a magnet against the material.