Does anyone else overdo privacy and security?

• Thread starter dangerbird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Security
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of security measures, such as safes, locks, and masking location online, for the purpose of privacy and eliminating the possibility of someone violating personal space. However, the excessive focus on privacy may be considered paranoid and can take away from other goals. It is also noted that such measures may not be effective against government or external agencies and can become an endless pursuit for greater privacy.
Ryan_m_b said:
Dangerbird please use proper capitalisation and punctuation when writing a post e.g.

I'm sorry I'm just terrible at english i failed that course. I'll do the best i can though.

Physics news on Phys.org
dangerbird said:
Naw its just to eliminate any crazy rare stuff like in a million chance stuff from happening its not that there's iminent danger and i realize that that's why its not paranoia see

I could easly argue this the other way at Paranoia or compulsion..

If no iminent danger, and crazy rare stuff : why bother unless some thing is nagging or driving you ??

Most people would go on about there business without worrying about such. Yet to act upon such: some thing is worrying you, is it not?

Go see a psychologist...

Fox News Syndrome :smile: I wouldn't call dangerbird paranoid.

"Naw its just to eliminate any crazy rare stuff like in a million chance stuff from happening its not that there's iminent danger and i realize that that's why its not paranoia see"

He needs help interpreting statistics / odds ect.

It would be near impossible to "interact" with society & reduce the odds of whatever bad happening to you in the context of privacy & security to zero. Aside from trying to protect yourself there's another interpretation to "one in a million" type odds; no matter your efforts "it" could happen.

Last edited:
lostcauses10x said:
I could easly argue this the other way at Paranoia or compulsion..

If no iminent danger, and crazy rare stuff : why bother unless some thing is nagging or driving you ??

Most people would go on about there business without worrying about such. Yet to act upon such: some thing is worrying you, is it not?
nah I am just weird lol

I'm typing this message from a non-networked OpenBSD computer inside of a Faraday cage on the bottom of the Mariana Trench. A specially trained team of elite dolphins uses the IP Over Dolphin (IPOD) protocol to take it to a trusted team on land, who then post it to this message board through seven proxies after bouncing it off a ping wall to avoid being traced by people using a GUI in Visual Basic. After that, I shut down the computer and move into my panic room until the dolphins return with any replies doubly encrypted.

jhae2.718 said:
I'm typing this message from a non-networked OpenBSD computer inside of a Faraday cage on the bottom of the Mariana Trench. A specially trained team of elite dolphins uses the IP Over Dolphin (IPOD) protocol to take it to a trusted team on land, who then post it to this message board through seven proxies after bouncing it off a ping wall to avoid being traced by people using a GUI in Visual Basic. After that, I shut down the computer and move into my panic room until the dolphins return with any replies doubly encrypted.

But how do you know you can trust the dolphins not to reveal your location? They could be double agents. Anything that cute can't be trusted!

That would be what the team of sharks is for. Also, the messages are encryped using quantum waveform permutation encryption algorithms, which are unbreakable as long as [itex]P \neq NP[/itex], so I choose [itex]P\ne 0[/itex] and [itex]N \ne 1[/itex] to be safe.

The secret location is actually a submarine lair that can move around the bottom of the ocean at .99c.

jhae2.718 said:
That would be what the team of sharks is for. Also, the messages are encryped using quantum waveform permutation encryption algorithms, which are unbreakable as long as [itex]P \neq NP[/itex], so I choose [itex]P\ne 0[/itex] and [itex]N \ne 1[/itex] to be safe.

The secret location is actually a submarine lair that can move around the bottom of the ocean at .99c.
Does your security system incorperate extraterrestrial sharks and dolphins so that their minds can't be read by people as easy? And do these look alike dolphins and sharks have rockets or other mechanical devices secretly surgically implanted into their bodies to speed up communication?

Jhea it looks like youre gona have to pm me so that the workings of your security system remain secretive. if you want to just pm me ur email then ill respond to it off the site or pm me other secret info needed for innitiating communications

I leave my car unlocked in public parking lots - and pity the fool that steals it, old crapper of a thing it is! My house, while locked, is ridiculously easy to penetrate. I have no contents insurance. I have little of value anyway, I figure if someone wants to steal my 10 crates of techno records, my 5 year old computer, and my book case, good luck to them. The records are the only thing I have sentiment attached to, and they cannot be replaced, but I feel that any efforts I put into protecting them will be too expensive for the likelihood of a theft.

Things are transient. You gain them, you lose them, you find new things that interest you. I try not to become overly attached to things.

Question 1: <H2>What is the importance of privacy and security?</H2><p>Privacy and security are crucial elements in our daily lives. They protect our personal information, prevent identity theft, and ensure our safety both online and in the physical world.</p>Question 2: <H2>Why do some people overdo privacy and security?</H2><p>Some people may overdo privacy and security because they have experienced a security breach or identity theft in the past, or they may have a high level of concern for their personal information and safety. Additionally, with the increasing use of technology and social media, people may feel the need to take extra precautions to protect their privacy.</p>Question 3: <H2>What are some common ways people overdo privacy and security?</H2><p>Some common ways people overdo privacy and security include using multiple complex passwords, avoiding social media or using it with strict privacy settings, and being cautious about sharing personal information online or in person.</p>Question 4: <H2>Can overdoing privacy and security be harmful?</H2><p>While having strong privacy and security measures can be beneficial, overdoing it can also have negative consequences. For example, using overly complex passwords can make it difficult to remember them, and avoiding social media altogether can limit one's ability to connect with others and share information.</p>Question 5: <H2>What are some tips for finding the right balance between privacy and security?</H2><p>To find the right balance between privacy and security, it is important to assess your personal level of risk and determine what measures are necessary to protect yourself. It is also helpful to stay informed about the latest security threats and regularly review and update your privacy settings and security measures. Additionally, using a password manager and being cautious about sharing personal information can also help maintain a healthy balance between privacy and security.</p>
Question 1:

What is the importance of privacy and security?

Privacy and security are crucial elements in our daily lives. They protect our personal information, prevent identity theft, and ensure our safety both online and in the physical world.

Question 2:

Why do some people overdo privacy and security?

Some people may overdo privacy and security because they have experienced a security breach or identity theft in the past, or they may have a high level of concern for their personal information and safety. Additionally, with the increasing use of technology and social media, people may feel the need to take extra precautions to protect their privacy.

Question 3:

What are some common ways people overdo privacy and security?

Some common ways people overdo privacy and security include using multiple complex passwords, avoiding social media or using it with strict privacy settings, and being cautious about sharing personal information online or in person.

Question 4:

Can overdoing privacy and security be harmful?

While having strong privacy and security measures can be beneficial, overdoing it can also have negative consequences. For example, using overly complex passwords can make it difficult to remember them, and avoiding social media altogether can limit one's ability to connect with others and share information.

Question 5:

What are some tips for finding the right balance between privacy and security?

To find the right balance between privacy and security, it is important to assess your personal level of risk and determine what measures are necessary to protect yourself. It is also helpful to stay informed about the latest security threats and regularly review and update your privacy settings and security measures. Additionally, using a password manager and being cautious about sharing personal information can also help maintain a healthy balance between privacy and security.