SHM: Deriving x = A cos(wt) & Intuitive Understanding

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the expression x = a cos(wt) and the confusion surrounding it. The individual mentions a file they have uploaded and a book they are using as a reference. They question the correctness of the diagram and the constant amplitude in the expression. They also mention seeing the expression derived through calculus, but not understanding how it is derived itself. The individual also brings up the notation used in the book, which adds to their confusion. Ultimately, they come to the realization that the point "A" in the diagram corresponds to the radius of the circle and not a number.
Oz Alikhan
Short story:

How does one go about to derive x = a cos(wt)? The way it is derived in my book is from the "SHM Diagram" file that I have uploaded but it seems that the diagram is incorrect as it does not correspond to the expression. Also, why is the Amplitude in the expression constant when the radius of a pendulum is also constant which implies that x has to be also constant?More of the story:

I have seen the expression, x = a cos(wt) derive other expressions through calculus but I have not seen how this expression itself is derived from.

In the file "SHM Text" that I have uploaded, I understand up to the part of x = rcos(wt) and where that corresponds to the diagram. However shortly after that, the book states that for pendulums r = A therefore the expression becomes x = A coswt. I cannot see why or how or even where that corresponds to the diagram. I have tried drawing diagrams from that expression but it never seems to match the book's diagram.

Thanks for the help :smile:

Attachments

• SHM Diagram.jpg
    SHM Diagram.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,356
  • SHM Text.jpg
    SHM Text.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 946
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The notation is unfortunate. In the picture they appear to have labeled two points "A" and "B" but, in the text, then use "A" as if it were a number. It looks like they are thinking of the point "A" as corresponding to the point (A, 0) where A is now a number, the distance from the origin to the point "A". In that case, number, A, is the radius of the circle: r= A.

Likes 1 person
Makes sense now. Thanks a lot :smile:

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of motion where a system moves back and forth around a stable equilibrium point with a constant period and amplitude.

2. How is the equation x = A cos(wt) derived?

The equation x = A cos(wt) is derived from the differential equation for SHM, which is d^2x/dt^2 = -w^2x, where w is the angular frequency. By solving this differential equation, we get the solution x = A cos(wt).

3. What does A represent in the equation x = A cos(wt)?

A represents the amplitude of the oscillation, which is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium point. It determines the range of motion of the system.

4. How can we intuitively understand SHM?

One way to understand SHM is to think of it as a mass attached to a spring. When the mass is pulled away from the equilibrium point and released, it will oscillate back and forth around the equilibrium point with a constant period and amplitude, just like in the equation x = A cos(wt).

5. Is SHM applicable to real-world systems?

Yes, SHM can be observed in many real-world systems, such as pendulums, vibrating strings, and even molecules vibrating in a crystal lattice. It is a fundamental concept in physics and has many practical applications in engineering and technology.