Sorry this is the wrong topic, but I could not post in Math Learning Material

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a good, cheap textbook on probability and statistics. A recommendation was given for the Introduction to Probability - Grinstead and Snell, which is available for free in pdf format under General Public License. A link to the book was also provided for convenience.
stgermaine
Hi. I want to study probability over the summer. The course I'm taking in the fall uses the Degroot and Schervish textbook. My friend took it last semester and agreed to sell it to me for cheap,a nd I left it at my apartment back at college over the summer.

I'd like to know what's a good book that's cheap but still as good as the Degroot and Schervish Probability & Statistics textbook.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this an undergrad course or a grad course?

I recommend Introduction to Probability - Grinstead and Snell.
This book is free in pdf format under General Public License. Do a google search and you should be able to find it.

Here I did it for you:
http://www.math.dartmouth.edu/~prob/prob/prob.pdf

Good luck!

SolsticeFire

You're asking about books, so this is the right place for it. The Learning Materials forums are for links to online resources, and for tutorials etc. that people have written up to post here. The Mentors (moderators) move stuff there from other forums when they're appropriate.

What is the appropriate topic for posting in the Math Learning Material forum?

The Math Learning Material forum is specifically for discussions, questions, and resources related to mathematics. This includes topics such as algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and more.

Why am I unable to post in the Math Learning Material forum?

If you are unable to post in the Math Learning Material forum, it could be due to a few reasons. One possible reason is that you do not have the necessary permissions to post in that specific forum. Another reason could be that your post does not meet the guidelines or criteria set for that forum.

Can I post about any math-related topic in the Math Learning Material forum?

No, the Math Learning Material forum is specifically for discussions and resources related to mathematics. If your post is not directly related to mathematics, it may be more appropriate to post in a different forum or seek out other resources.

Where can I find resources and information about other math topics?

There are many online resources and forums dedicated to different math topics. You can also check out textbooks, online courses, and educational websites for more information. Additionally, seeking guidance from a math teacher or tutor may also be helpful.

Are there any guidelines I should follow when posting in the Math Learning Material forum?

Yes, it is important to follow the guidelines and rules set for the Math Learning Material forum in order to maintain a productive and respectful community. This may include using appropriate language, providing clear and relevant information, and avoiding plagiarism.